C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headers and california emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
TAZO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and california emissions

I have been thinking about getting a set of tpis headers but I am a bit concerned about emissions. Can the 2 pre cats be used with headers? has anyone done a header install that passes cal emissions?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

To this point, no one makes headers for a C4 that are CARB compliant.

Keeping the cats will help pass the tests if the tech doesn't look too close.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Shortys possibly if they have an EO#, but as far as I know no longtubes in CA. I dont understand why, as headers affect tailpipe emissions how???

Worst comes to worse do what you have planned and if they fail you demand to see an actual smog referee (state of Ca.) If everything is there, smog rails, cats, etc they just may issue you a sticker. Got it done on my Blazer years ago, even had a cam. Not likely to happen, but possible.
What one local did with his '88 was get a set of 1-3/4 shorties and make factory looking heat shields for them, passes with no problem.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZO
I have been thinking about getting a set of tpis headers but I am a bit concerned about emissions. Can the 2 pre cats be used with headers? has anyone done a header install that passes cal emissions?

It's not whether they pass emissions but whether there are Kalifornia approved Long Tubes. So you should be asking which Long tubes have a CARB number.

Mike
Old 02-19-2006, 09:52 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Wow a tie. Central Coaster has good info. I knew that there were no CARB LT headers for the LT1, however, I was unsure about the L98s.

Mike
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There are none with CARB. You'll have to either live in a lenient county or know somebody to get around this.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 247 Likes on 113 Posts

Edit: I so hate California. They changed the E.O. number within the last 6-8 months. It seems they either made a mistake or changed the terms of the E.O. number. Either way, there are no longer any long tube headers legal in California. Well, I know what I am going to be doing either this month or next month...

And the funny thing is, it just passed the sniffer test 2 years ago when I bought it with no problems. Did I say that I really despise the CARB system?

Last edited by Performance nut; 02-19-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
TAZO
Intermediate

WOW great info! Now that really sucks that long tube headers won't pass. I'm not sure if I want to chance it or not. But, I would really like to open up the exhaust and make the L98 run like it was meant to. It is the start of a long prosses to have a really powerfull V8. Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Some of the laws are for our own good, and some make no sense at all. Shouldnt matter if it has a blown big block as long as what comes out of the pipe itself is within range. The motor doesnt know any different
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The problem with CARB is not only do they enforce EPA rules with such vigilance, they wrote have them damned rules.

I wish CARB would give folks the right to modify, as long as the result passed sniff tests. Hell, I would be willing to be tested annually just to prove it's ok. If it fails, no black mark, just a 30 day grace to make it pass. BFD.

Is it all that hard to make things work this way?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 247 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
The problem with CARB is not only do they enforce EPA rules with such vigilance, they wrote have them damned rules.

I wish CARB would give folks the right to modify, as long as the result passed sniff tests. Hell, I would be willing to be tested annually just to prove it's ok. If it fails, no black mark, just a 30 day grace to make it pass. BFD.

I have been saying this for years. Does it matter what it is, who builds the engine, or what brand of parts you use... what comes out the tailpipe is all that matters.

Hell, I read the other day that converting your gasoline car to run on only alcohol is considered tampering with federal emissions. I have no idea if its true but I wouldnt doubt it.

I just saw how much its going to cost me to convert back to the only legal exhaust manifold (stock) for my car: $746.10 (not including shipping and the time to put them in). Whatever happened to "if it isnt broke, dont fix it"?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I hear ya, brah... I really do...
Old 02-20-2006, 02:45 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We just got rid of the E-Check program where I live as of December 31, 2005 which means you can straight pipes all the way back, headers, whatever you want. You couldnt put headers (legally) on your car here back then either. Thats why i'm getting a dual exhaust kit for my car, no need for the catalytic converter anymore. Ohio is a great place to live, but its not as warm as California.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bogus

Yeah but they generate more $$$ that way. EO # require $$$$
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Performance nut
I have been saying this for years. Does it matter what it is, who builds the engine, or what brand of parts you use... what comes out the tailpipe is all that matters.

Hell, I read the other day that converting your gasoline car to run on only alcohol is considered tampering with federal emissions. I have no idea if its true but I wouldnt doubt it.

I just saw how much its going to cost me to convert back to the only legal exhaust manifold (stock) for my car: $746.10 (not including shipping and the time to put them in). Whatever happened to "if it isnt broke, dont fix it"?

Do you have friends or a PO box out of state, where you can register your car?

Mike
Old 02-20-2006, 10:24 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

I've been investingating this dilemma alot lately as I plan on something better than what my stock manifolds can do.

I've found that 'shorties' available, none have AIR fittings or EGR on them. Shorties might hit the motor mount frame rise piece. This would be ideal as the smog monkeys wouldn't be able to mess with them. I could just weld the AIR fittings on them (no EGR as 1985 had none), coat them and voila!! ISSUE: front pipe might hit the frame.

I've been considering LT1 manifolds as they are alledged to flow enough to produce 300 odd hp at 6000rpm. I need to test fit them.
They have the AIR fittings for sure.

Long tubes would be ideal. Compromise: uninstall them prior to each smog test ...oh well. Long tubes are yummi excpt for the heat issue.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 PM
TAZO
Intermediate

So, I was just wondering, for all you california folks. Has anyone put long tube headers in with all the emissions hook-ups and passed smog? I just had the smog test last week( stock motor with msd and open air lid) and it passed. The tech actually said it was a very clean running motor. Maybe I should think about a nice set of heads and a better cam? I just have the itch for more power. You can never have to much power!

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and california emissions

Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Heads and cam definitely, Long tubes, pretty iffy. Probably fail you if you get called into a test only facility, maybe youll get lucky though and get ahold of an "under$tanding" tech.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRX
I've been investingating this dilemma alot lately as I plan on something better than what my stock manifolds can do.

I've found that 'shorties' available, none have AIR fittings or EGR on them. Shorties might hit the motor mount frame rise piece. This would be ideal as the smog monkeys wouldn't be able to mess with them. I could just weld the AIR fittings on them (no EGR as 1985 had none), coat them and voila!! ISSUE: front pipe might hit the frame.

I've been considering LT1 manifolds as they are alledged to flow enough to produce 300 odd hp at 6000rpm. I need to test fit them.
They have the AIR fittings for sure.

Long tubes would be ideal. Compromise: uninstall them prior to each smog test ...oh well. Long tubes are yummi excpt for the heat issue.
Talk to Perfusion. I believe that he is running EM longtubes in CA, but I think that he removes them come inspection time.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

For all the whining and notions of ulterior motives, the reason Ca is so tough is three-fold: 1. we have more cars than anyone else and had smog so thick I had to have my headlights on when I drove through LA in mid-afternoon when I drove home from the service (seriously !) years ago, 2. we have a very environmentally friendly state government (not necessarily a bad thing), and 3. The fed govt threatened to cut off all highway funding if Cal did not come into compliance. So it was a money deal, but not as has been suggested that the state is getting rich off this.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, for an L98, there are no long tubes or shorties with an EO#. Maybe our criticism might be better directed to our header manufacturers. When I was looking for these for my 1988, I found JBA actually had a shorty with a Cal EO#, but they never made it available to the public. I could not believe it! I even called JBA and gave them the part number and was told, "Sorry Charlie!"

Quick Reply: Headers and california emissions