C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

power antenna fuse location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power antenna fuse location?

My power antenna is stuck in the up position. I have not heard a click from the antenna relay since I've owned it. It's possibly a bad relay and I'm checking my Helm's manual on troubleshooting.

First, I'd like to check the antenna fuse they speak of...check the simple things first kind of thing.

Well, my Helms manual says the fuse panel is under the driver's side dash... ok...check there... no fuse panel! I found it upon opening the passenger side door and it's there on the side of the dash assembly.
No problem... checked the panel and there is no fuse labled for either the radio or the power antenna!

Ok, am I missing something here? Is the antenna fuse in a different location than the main fuse panel? Anyone ever try finding this thing?

Thanks for any insights.
Brad
Old 02-26-2006, 07:06 PM
7thvet
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe its the courtesy fuse.15amp.
But if it were blown you wouldnt have radio or horn or alarm , I think the courtesy fuze works 17 different things.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The ctsy/clk fuse powers antenna relay, but removing it will kill a bunch of other stuff.
Remove the trim at the back of cargo area and you will find the antenna relay. It is beside the hatch latch. Unplug it there and your good to go.
Time for a mast repair kit

Last edited by AGENT 86; 02-26-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:04 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I did check further and you are right. The wiring diagram shows the courtesy fuse powering this thing as well as tons of other stuff as you mention. When looking at the Helms main manual for my '87, it showed a separate radio 7 amp and power antenna 20 amp fuse! That does not jive with the supplemental wiring diagrams in the '87 additional book they sent with the main manual. Guess the supplement is more up to date. Still not sure if this is a mast issue or not. I'll check the voltage at the relay and see if power is being sent back there. If not, I may just disconnect it and jumper some power back to the retract pin and see if it goes down or not.

Anyone find any good deals on an entire antenna if this ends up being a dead power antenna?

Again thanks for setting me straight on this!
Brad
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I realize now that you haven't heard the relay or motor. If you antenna has been stuck up since you got the car, probably the previous owner already disconnected the relay to cure the constant motor whining caused by a broken nylon mast
Old 02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987C4
Thanks for the replies! I did check further and you are right. The wiring diagram shows the courtesy fuse powering this thing as well as tons of other stuff as you mention. When looking at the Helms main manual for my '87, it showed a separate radio 7 amp and power antenna 20 amp fuse! That does not jive with the supplemental wiring diagrams in the '87 additional book they sent with the main manual. Guess the supplement is more up to date. Still not sure if this is a mast issue or not. I'll check the voltage at the relay and see if power is being sent back there. If not, I may just disconnect it and jumper some power back to the retract pin and see if it goes down or not.

Anyone find any good deals on an entire antenna if this ends up being a dead power antenna?

Again thanks for setting me straight on this!
Brad
Antenna's are pretty tough to come by and a new one will cost around $100.00.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Brimis
Antenna's are pretty tough to come by and a new one will cost around $100.00.
You can find OEM antennas at Taber Corvette Salvage at http://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/

I don't know what they run, though. I'm GUESSING $50 plus shipping.

Get notified of new replies

To power antenna fuse location?

Quick Reply: power antenna fuse location?