C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Luggage Rack Install Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 09:42 AM
cliff64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage Rack Install Tricks?

Any tricks to installing a luggage rack on a C4? :confused:

Save the Wave :seeya
Old 08-16-2001, 11:02 AM
Terry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Luggage Rack Install Tricks? (cliff64)

I installed one on my 92 about a year and a half ago. One of the most important things is lining up the template, take your time! Then use a spot drill and hit the 16 or so marks.

I then took off the template and step drilled the holes.... meaning I started with a 1/8th or so and worked my way up incrementaly(sp) to I think it's 3/8.

Wrap a piece of masking tape about a inch or so up each drill bit as a gauge for depth cause your gas tank is below you!

Then line up the rails and insert the rubber "nuts" into the holes and tighten. (they swell up as you tighten them to hold the rack) then snap the plastic covers in place.

I then bought a duffle bag type unit with a "hard" bottem. I put the clothes in a plastic bag in case it rains.... a couple color coordinated bungy cords and voila! a luggage rack. I've been to the Key's and all the way to NH without a problem.

I didn't bother with the hard case that is availabe from Mid America@ $500.00 or so, cause I just wouldn't use it enough.

Your milage may vary!

Good luck.... Its not as bad as it seems.

Quick Reply: Luggage Rack Install Tricks?