C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Delteq guys, I need some knowledge.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
96Eric
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delteq guys, I need some knowledge.

I just installed the delteq kit on my 96 LT4. The kit was off a 95 T/A, I bought it slightly used. I changed the plugs with ACD Platinums during the install as well. To my knowledge, my Opti was working perfectly before the install. I did all the little checks to make sure the "opti box" was working correctly with the little red light. The car runs great, I took it out, no misses or hestation at WOT at all. Then yesterday it missed at around 4700 at WOT. I checked the plugs and wires, and they all seemed fine. I took it out again and at 4.7k it missed again and then died when it came back down to idle. I engaged the clutch and the car started back up but was not getting any spark. Once I pulled over the car would just crank and wouldn't fire. After pulling the plug wire off the coilpack slightly there was no spark while cranking. It was as if the ignition had just stopped. I talked to the delteq tech on the phone and he couldn't really put a finger on the problem. After letting the car cool down, about 3-4 mins, I tried it again, and it fired right up and didn't miss a beat. VERY VERY STRANGE! I took it out last night, gave it some revs and it was fine, after repeated high rpms WOT upshifts. I think it has a back connection or ground, but am not sure. Is there a ground wire that was previously mounted on or near where the orginal coil was mounted? I removed the two upper bolts to the coil, and the lower bolt to the power steering resivor bracket. I didn't remember seeing any grounds when I put the bolts back in, but is there any in those locations? Has anyone had similar problems? Any advice for troubleshooting?

Last edited by 96Eric; 03-28-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think there is a ground near the coil mounting bracket. I reused the coil mounting bolts to mount the Delteq box so any grounds that were on there got put back. You may want to do a quick check of the conector into the Opti. This is a common place for corosion. A tell tale sign will be a green build up on the pins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Delteq guys, I need some knowledge.