C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

heater core bypass '92 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
streettrim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core bypass '92 LT1

92 LT1
ok i have have fogged up windows and coolant dripping from my under the passenger dash on to the floorboard. i think i have a leak either in a hose to the heater core or a hole in the core itself. i dont have the $$$ or the time to fix it right now but since summer is comming up i dont need the heater anyway... i did a seach on bypassing the HC but only turned up the TPI cars and not the LT1. can someone please tell me how to temporarally bypass the HC on a LT1 untill i have the funds to fix it...
also what is the best method removing antifreeze from carpet lol
thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2006, 06:32 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by streettrim
92 LT1
ok i have have fogged up windows and coolant dripping from my under the passenger dash on to the floorboard. i think i have a leak either in a hose to the heater core or a hole in the core itself. i dont have the $$$ or the time to fix it right now but since summer is comming up i dont need the heater anyway... i did a seach on bypassing the HC but only turned up the TPI cars and not the LT1. can someone please tell me how to temporarally bypass the HC on a LT1 untill i have the funds to fix it...
thanks for the help
Carpet--I just sopped it up as best I could with towels. Plus aired it out.

Bypass--had a pro. do my LT1 but it's not that hard. Probably will have to move the top coolant reservoir nearest the windshield in order to get the hoses off that go to the core. Everything stops at the reservoir now.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by streettrim
92 LT1
thanks for the help
Not positively sure on your car, but you should find two heater hoses, side by side, going to the fire wall on the pasenger side. These are the inflow and outflow hoses. Simply remove them at the firewall and get a bushing equal to the inside diameter of the hoses and som appropriate size clamps.

Use the bushing to connect the two hoses to each other and clamp them up

Can't help with other questions

Jack
Old 03-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 92 LT1 both hoses pass over a bracket attached to the power steering pump bracket.
I just had a look at mine and one of these hoses is connected to a checkvalve before it goes into the heater core. disconnect this hose at the checkvalve and disconnect the other at the intake manifold.
Now take the end that you disconnected from the checkvalve and reconnect it on the manifold where you removed the other from and you should be done.
This way you can reuse the hoses when you decide to replace the heater core.

CAUTION. MAKE SURE YOU RELIEVE ALL PREASSURE FROM THE RADIATOR BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE HOSE.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM
streettrim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank yall for taking the time to answer it was extremely helpful

Get notified of new replies

To heater core bypass '92 LT1

Quick Reply: heater core bypass '92 LT1