C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Resistor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 10:29 AM
Reddog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Resistor

Hello all!
I have an 89 Vette no cats no mufflers but I am kicking up codes for a lean condition on the O2 Sensor, what resistor do I need to fool the ECM into thinking it is a fine condition and where can I get one?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:18 PM
Camvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Resistor (Reddog)

Reddog, you ain't never going to get an answer to a question like that on this forum. You'll have to find what the volt reading to the ECM is normally from the O2 sensor, find what yours is reading and buy the appropiate value resister at Radio Shack, install in the O2 sensor line to the ECM and see if it works.
Good luck to you! :chevy
Old 08-17-2001, 11:01 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Resistor (Reddog)

If you are getting lean knock retard you're asking for trouble by disabling the knock sensor. The sensor is saving your engine from destructive detonation.

But if you just MUST do it here's the deal:

Use a 1/4 watt, 4.7K ohm resistor. Find the wire that leads from the knock sensor to the knock module near the firewall. My wire is blue but I've got an 86 so your color may be different.

Cut the wire and solder one end of the resistor wire to the end that leads to the module. The other end of the resistor goes to ground. I grounded mine at the hood latch metal bracket.

The other end of the wire from the knock sensor just gets capped off. I got no code or knock retard activity, but you've got to listen carefully for knock or ping and retard your intial timing until it goes away.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Resistor

Quick Reply: Resistor