C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shift boot replacement from hell! Argh, Ecklers!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:02 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Shift boot replacement from hell! Argh, Ecklers!!

This was such a pain in the ***! I got a replacement shift boot and shifter **** from Ecklers for Christmas. I went to put it in today when I had some time to kill. The instructions are pretty lame at best. It basically says "remove shift ****, remove shift boot, install and adjust new shift boot." Ok, let me give you how it really works for a 4+3 shift boot.

1. Remove speedo bezel.
2. Remove center HVAC bezel.
3. Remove center console bezel.
3b. Unclip ciggarette adapter
3c. Unscrew shift boot from bottom of bezel.
4. Remove overdrive button
5. Remove overdrive switch stalk
6. Remove pin in shift ****.
7. Twist off shift ****.
8. Remove reverse lockout rod & spring
9. Pop lower shift boot collar off of shifter lever.
10. Reverse.

Now the fun issues.

1. The Ecklers' boot is not big enough! The sewn collar has a circumference that does not fit the lower collar. I had to cut a few of the stichings to open it up enough to fit. Fun! This was not something I would expect for a $60 something piece.

2. The Ecklers' boot does not come with pre-punched screw holes for the boot to center console bezel. I found this out once everything was back together. With not enough room to push them through I had to take it all apart, take the bezel and boot inside and install it there. Then put it all back together.

3. The Ecklers' shifter **** does not come with a key piece for the 4+3. There is a small plastic base in the **** that has the tangs for the overdrive button to snap onto. You could have easily tossed the original **** out and never noticed until it was too late. You have to carefully remove the base from the original **** and put it into the new one. I cut the leather off of my old **** becuase it was hard and covering the base. I was afraid I would snap the base while moving it.

I would email them with some suggestions for better instruction or product improvements, but I won't bother. Why you ask? The last piece I bought from them was a replacement 4+3 clutch hydaulic line. It was so completely not correct I had to bend it myself and it was a nightmare to install. I emailed them photos and descriptions of my ordeal and never received an answer.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scorp508

2. The Ecklers' boot does not come with pre-punched screw holes for the boot to center console bezel. I found this out once everything was back together. With not enough room to push them through I had to take it all apart, take the bezel and boot inside and install it there. Then put it all back together.
Neither does Mid America. I bought mine and punched a hole through it while the center was taken apart.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 87vette
Neither does Mid America. I bought mine and punched a hole through it while the center was taken apart.
Yeah, I wish I had seen it earlier. I was too busy trying to get that damn collar on it to notice.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

talk about poor quality control... hell, that's nonexistant quality control.

It's beyond ****-poor.

Oh, and that's the same process for removing the shift boot on my 92... take car apart, replace boot, reassemble car.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Brian, I would send it back for a refund.

Instead, go here (and its les $$): www.redlinegoods.com
Old 02-20-2006, 05:52 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
Brian, I would send it back for a refund.

Instead, go here (and its les $$): www.redlinegoods.com
If it wasn't a gift, I'd have suggested the same thing..

Then again, my boot from Redline came with no instructions at all, and the holes didn't line up
Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the good info. I will be doing this shortly. eeek.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Even the automatic shifter boot doesnt fit either.I installed it but had to leave one screw/bolt hole undone.Why?It didnt align up at all like the factory did.Youre better off ripping off your old leather from the stock frame and gluing the new leather boot onto it.These aftermarket parts are so far off I have no idea what car they used to make templates off of.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
thomastl
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine from www.partsforvettes.com. I paid $36.95 w/ shipping. He knew about the fact that there were two different models (short and long for the manual transmission). I have a long console. Fit perfect. The one I got from ecklers that I had to send back was the small one. They don't even list a long version.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:34 AM
ZAWA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you should know ECKLER'S products are made for custom fitting. You should have welding set, saws. heat gun, ast. of glues at a minimum. This helps you to spend time with your car. Also giving you a feeling of a job well done when you finaly get it done.
My favorite is the spoiler bolt kit were you weld on a extension to make the bolt the right length. In the longrun this keeps the weight of the bolts down keeping that extra weight of the front end of your car. Pure genius.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
nitrous1
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by scorp508

4. Remove overdrive button
5. Remove overdrive switch stalk
6. Remove pin in shift ****.
7. Twist off shift ****.

Scorp, I have a few questions for you.

Do you have to unscrew the switch stalk completely to remove the OD button base?

How did you remove the pin in the shift ****? - I am assuming that you are talking about the little metal wedge that is opposite the hinge points for the OD button.

The reason that I ask is that I broke the OD button on my 86 and I want to try to make a new one out of aluminum, but I need to get the plastic base out of the shift **** so that I can measure everything up accurately. I don't think that I need to completely remove my shifter ****, only the pieces of the OD button.

Thanks,

nitrous1
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thomastl
I got mine from www.partsforvettes.com. I paid $36.95 w/ shipping. He knew about the fact that there were two different models (short and long for the manual transmission). I have a long console. Fit perfect. The one I got from ecklers that I had to send back was the small one. They don't even list a long version.

I don't know anything about partsforvettes.com but I had the same issue. Ecklers ships out the short one, then if you need the long one, they will send you that. But you don't know till you try to install it. Ecklers does sell it though, I have it on my Vette.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:58 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought that same POS. The garbage plastic frame didn't even fit the console plate. I had to scrape the leather off it and glue it to the stock metal frame.

**** like that pisses me off after buying a "restoration" part.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:37 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like s***ty quality control and/or design.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
robertt43
Racer

All the big distributors sell the same parts from their suppliers. Most of them are junk,cheap,foreign made crap.That's why their prices are so close together. Plus their shipping charges are all high,and the people selling the stuff are mostly inexperienced women who know nothing about cars or tools,[one lady didn't know what a brake pressure switch was ]only what is in front of them on the screen,and they will tell you anything to get the commission.....
Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

The first purchase for my 84 was a shift boot from Eckler's. Once I disassembled the necessary parts to install the shift boot, I had to stop and scratch my head. WTF! Did I order the wrong boot? This boot wasn't going on a Chevette let alone a Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To Shift boot replacement from hell! Argh, Ecklers!!

Quick Reply: Shift boot replacement from hell! Argh, Ecklers!!