C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to test ignition module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to test ignition module?

Anyone know how to test an ignition module? Trying to nail down whether mine is working right or not. Not sure if LT1/LT4 are different.

Know how to test a coil too?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there is a difference in the coil... but I donno about the module.

I don't have the testing procedures here... but, if you do a search on member "Jet-Jock" from last September, he had a thread from hell with ignition related problems. might be a good one to scan.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My FSM says to: "Check the ignition module with an approved module tester.". Maybe your later FSM has a procedure for checking your different, (?) later, module. For me, it appears I would be at the mercy of the local parts purveyor to test it for me.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I have heard that auto zone can test the module. I am fighting some ignition problems myself now and have already done the Opti. Testing is good if the module is dead or not functing. But depending on the problem, if it is acting up intermittertly or under temperature the only way to know for sure is to replace it. Thats why I have one on order myself because it misses at idle or under high load. Besides, having a spair is not bad to have one around. You can check resistance on a coil, but thest items can break down under operating conditions. If its running, determing test results is tough. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone, have them run it through at least 10 cycles-unless you have the right equipment-which most of us don't, the ignition module is beyond us.I wouldn't replace it until it was tested-$$$$, the picup coil is rather easy to test, but you must wiggle the wires while testing-otherwise the ohms test is kinda worthless.

Last edited by rick lambert; 04-10-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Your right on the 10 cycles, I have seen that. wiggle wires - always. But I was talking about checking the resistance on the ignition coil (hot coil). I think the 96 has the opti, hot coil and the ICM. I dont think is uses a pick up coil-- am I wrong?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Your right on the 10 cycles, I have seen that. wiggle wires - always. But I was talking about checking the resistance on the ignition coil (hot coil). I think the 96 has the opti, hot coil and the ICM. I dont think is uses a pick up coil-- am I wrong?
I think you are right. The hot coil thing is important since there is a heat sink and the dielectric grease procedure, but they are pretty easy to get to, sort of unusual for a Corvette. There was an engineer from KY that posts a lot of interesting articles. He did one on the coil location-on the block and off the block to check whether the temps made any difference. Upshot was that on the block gave a higher temp but was more gradual change. I think in the end it did not make much difference, but most agree that Electronics don't like quick/extreme temp changes.

What this has to do with testing the coil....I don't know. Just sort of threw that in to stir things up.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:47 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. Autozone told me that they couldn't test the module. Guess I'll just go take it and read the manual there to do it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To How to test ignition module?

Quick Reply: How to test ignition module?