C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can a Torque Converter Be Repaired?(Bolt Holes)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Can a Torque Converter Be Repaired?(Bolt Holes)

Im helping a friend with his Vette and one of the torque converter holes is severly screwed up...the former owner/person that worked on it stripped the bolt threads and did a band aid fix to bolt the TC back onto the flywheel.

The tap they used snapped off inside the TC bolt thread hole when it was getting rethreaded and they tried to drill it out but drilled a bit sideways into the hole.So basically you cant just retap the threads.Its pretty bad out of whack.Makes alot of noise to drive the car like this with it banging since the bolt is missing.

We want to know if its feasible to get that hole welded shut and then redrilled and tapped again.Is it doable by a good welder?
Dont want to spend a fortune for another TC due to a messed up bolt hole.I pulled the TC out of the car and giving it a look over.Wish JB weld could be used but wouldnt dare use it in a place like that!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see why not, I would think either the way you described or putting a new piece on it (obviously by a competent fabricator /welder).
I have had the rear hub on converters rewelded. Some of the early 9" converters I had would develop a leak at the hub and I had them welded with no issues.

Last edited by mseven; 04-18-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mseven
I don't see why not I have had the rear hub on converters rewelded. Some of the early 9" converters I had would develop a leak at the hub and I had them welded with no issues.
Thanks,thats what I thought...Better find a machine shop that WILL touch it...a few places I spoke to said it cant be done and the weld would break off from the engines torque or etc...I think they just didnt want to be liable for any failures from their weldings...these days alot of places dont seem to want to do stuff like that no more,but sell you new parts.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
Thanks,thats what I thought...Better find a machine shop that WILL touch it...a few places I spoke to said it cant be done and the weld would break off from the engines torque or etc...I think they just didnt want to be liable for any failures from their weldings...these days alot of places dont seem to want to do stuff like that no more,but sell you new parts.
When I had this done it was from a couple differernt guys around here who did nothing but build and race real cars for years. They both built many chasis, cages, full cars etc., to them it was easy.
I would imagine you probably have some real fabricators around your neck of the woods. Those are the kind of guys that would have a little more practical application, and have dealt with this kind of stuff.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

What kind of Convertor is it ? Is it worth fixing ?

A stock convertor can be had for very little.

Vic
Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is worth the trouble it could be drilled out and helicoiled. If the hole is too big for a helicoil, it can be sleeved with a piece of threaded rod, and re drilled to size. I have watched my machinest do it on rare stuff that cannot be easily replaced. Torque converters are somewhat cheap, if stock type. I have a connection for high quailty stuff. Stock( low buck) or high dollar 10 inch stuff. I built 2 transmissions recently that went to Europe. I used this company for the converters.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for all the replies...I dont think this converter is a GM unit,it looks smaller and appears to be aftermarket...isnt a name label or anything on there...Ill have to ask the guy who owns the car if its an aftermarket unit,the conversation never came up when removing it.

Hole is too big for a heli coil,maybe the threaded rod may do the trick...I may have found a machine shop nearby that can fix it...will be a few days before I know for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a Torque Converter Be Repaired?(Bolt Holes)

Quick Reply: Can a Torque Converter Be Repaired?(Bolt Holes)