C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Disabling the Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 92 Disabling the Factory Alarm

How do you permanantly disable the factory alarm without leaving a million annoyances like lights and trouble codes? Will the fuse under the passenger side of the dash get it?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM
flyinlow90
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Viper alarm installed on my 90. The shop I had install it is awesome and I asked him if he went around or disabled the factory alarm and he said you couldn't. He said it was way to tough to disable. So now I have the VATS system on the car and my Viper. I don't know if the 92 would be any different.
Gary
Old 04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

There has to be a way. My aftermarket alarm, which works perfectly fine for me, has managed to get Jennifer stranded at Wal-Mart as I type this. I can rip that system out just fine but the factory system is acting dumb as well and I just want to be done with them all.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VATS Bypass how to

The VATS Bypass Modules that you see in the Corvette catalogs cost anywhere from $30 - $50. Add to that shipping and sales tax where applicable and you’re looking at $35 for a resistor that you can pick up at Radio Shack for under $1! Another problem with the bypass modules is that you have to know what code value (1-15) to buy. That means you'll have to go to a dealer that can use their VATS Interrogator. If you take a multi-meter and measure the resistance between the metal contacts on either side of your key, you can buy a resistor of this value at any Radio Shack store. ¼ watt will do. You then need to remove the hush panel under the steering column. Disconnect C281 (two-cavity connector at base of steering column with two black wires in the female end and one yellow and one brown wire in the male end). Your newly purchased resistor goes into the male side of this connector, so you'll need to crimp a couple of female pins to the resistor legs. If you insist on purchasing the VATS bypass from one of the Corvette catalogs, again measure the resistance of your key pellet and compare it to the code chart to find your code. It is also possible to reprogram the PROM to ignore the VATS signal, but that is beyond the scope of this article.

....have at er.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Hi Nathan,
I have a 92 that had a aftermarket alarm installed over the factory one when I bought it. The factory alarm still works and I don't know how to disable it but it has caused no problems to date.
I now have a new remote passive door lock, windows & hatch release along with alarm that I am going to install. I will keep my fingers crossed that this new one does not create a problem.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Bypassing the VATS is not a problem, it had to be done with the remote start. I want to disable the factory alarm system.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Now that I think about it, there has got to be a trigger wire that goes to the CCM that can be cut to disable it or a fuse.
I will have a look at the wireing diagram in my FSM and see what I cone up with
Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Ratski
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently disabled mine by removing the display panel above the radio (89 model) and locating the small green wire on the big relay there. Connect this to ground. This will allow the starter to always work. I think you have to also ground a purple wire somewhere to enable the injectors. Mine still goes stupid now and then. Wait four miinutes and it starts OK.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Disabling the Factory Alarm

Quick Reply: 92 Disabling the Factory Alarm