C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 02:27 AM
ChrisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (SPEEDEMON)

I would honestly run a standard dino oil and change at 3000 than try and get 15,000-18,000 out of a synthetic.

Old 08-23-2001, 03:59 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (ChrisB)

I agree. Synthetic should be changed every 5k, I think. I've been doing mine every 2-3k though.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:53 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (Glock'94)

I agree. Synthetic should be changed every 5k, I think. I've been doing mine every 2-3k though.

Yes, I agree, the standard Synthesized Hydrocarbons base stock oils off the shelf I wouldn’t run it more than that, but Red-Line is a Polyester base stock oil which does have much longer life span than your standard Synthesized Hydrocarbons base stock oils that you buy off the shelf.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:33 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I change the oil in my truck every 20k miles. I run dino oil in it too. Guess what, it is just about to turn 1/4 million miles.

I use Mobil 1 in my ZR-1. Redline is overkill and expensive.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:26 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (vettenuts)

I'd say that anybody who does sustained high RPM's on stock rockers is not gonna be pleased with the results. I don't doubt you at all, I just don't know how much of it is gonna because of the oil. Run roller rockers and you'll reduce a lot of high RPM engine heat.

I use Mobil 1 because I have seen several very clean engines that use it, and as other people have pointed out, it is fairly "cheap" and extremely available, wal-mart, k-mart, any parts store. There probably is something better, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything more cost effective.

I also change it every 3k miles. I would do that even if I ran redline. Call me crazy, but it isn't going to HURT anything to change the oil more often than is required. I'll just be careful, to me it's not worth the risk, any oil will break down, why not just change it when the "change oil" light comes on?

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 10:39 AM 8/23/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 07:12 PM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red Line is not API tested, certified or approved for use in the LT1 motor or any other american street vehicle, for that matter. It is an excellent racing lubricant highly recommended by the manufacturer and sponsored racers that obtain it for free. It is not a leading street lube for several good reasons. My advice is if you change your lubricant daily like underwear and own a trailered race vehicle, consider using it. Additive packages set lubricants apart under extended maintenance interval street duty. They separate the men from the boys & are necessary in ALL street lubricants, including Red Line and Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has been subjected to more research, testing & has more proven miles under it's belt than any other synthetic lubricant. In addition, it's secondary capabilities as a race lubricant are significant. It is used by several top CART teams in engines far more advanced and costly than IRL or NASCAR. They turn nearly twice the RPM. Race hype alone sells Red Line to many street car owners. Red Line's race history is the result of a long history of strong race sponsorship programs. Red Line does not even manufacture the additive packages utilized in their street lubes. The resulting "mix" has not even been tested to meet minimum API tests like your typical 60 cent per quart generic stuff. Red Line lubricants have not been subjected to or optimized by costly, industry-recognized durability testing. It is performed by unwitting customers. Not me, thanks.

Quick Reply: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1?