C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How can i upgrade my Opti-Spark 1 to Opti-Spark 2 standards?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:28 AM
boonie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i upgrade my Opti-Spark 1 to Opti-Spark 2 standards?

What do i need and how can i upgrade my Opti-Spark 1 (92-94) to Opti-Spark 2 (95-96) standard? besides having to buy a new Opti-Spark 2 distributor + new timing cover what else will i have to buy and do to complete this project?
Thanks Boonie
Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie
What do i need and how can i upgrade my Opti-Spark 1 (92-94) to Opti-Spark 2 (95-96) standard? besides having to buy a new Opti-Spark 2 distributor + new timing cover what else will i have to buy and do to complete this project?
Thanks Boonie
You can find a wealth of info about the Optispark distributor here:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...htp_optispark/

Personally, I wouldn't bother with upgrading a Gen-1 Opti to an OEM Gen-2 Opti. In my opinion, it's just not worth the hassle and expense when you can buy the DynaSpark, which is a better unit than the Gen-2 Opti, costs around $600, and is a true bolt-on replacement for the Gen-1 OEM Opti. The Dyna bolts on exactly the same as the OEM part, with the only difference being that you need to connect two vacuum hoses for the Gen-2-style vacuum-venting system that the Opti provides.

Be well,

SJW
Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Besides the timing cover, you have to have your cam pin extended to .620" to drive the opti and (I believe) get the harness that runs from the engine harness on the right side of the intake to the opti itself.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I wouldn't bother with upgrading a Gen-1 Opti to an OEM Gen-2 Opti. In my opinion, it's just not worth the hassle and expense when you can buy the DynaSpark, which is a better unit than the Gen-2 Opti, costs around $600, and is a true bolt-on replacement for the Gen-1 OEM Opti. The Dyna bolts on exactly the same as the OEM part, with the only difference being that you need to connect two vacuum hoses for the Gen-2-style vacuum-venting system that the Opti provides.

Be well,

SJW[/QUOTE]
I agree.I did the conversion with a 95 cap and rotor and some permatex and it all ended up costing as much as the Dynaspark but the other goodies they do like bearings and riveting the rotor and cap and the improved waterproof plug can't be duplicated.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Here's the info you need:

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html
Old 05-03-2006, 10:46 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once

Originally Posted by SJW
You can find a wealth of info about the Optispark distributor here:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...htp_optispark/

Be well,

SJW
Dynaspark is the way to go, but if you want to do the Gen2 conversion I think C5Jimmy had a complete conversion kit for sale. You might want to PM him to see if he still has it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:49 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jrzvette
... I think C5Jimmy had a complete conversion kit for sale. You might want to PM him to see if he still has it.
Actually I was the one that had the complete conversion kit for sale, but it's long gone.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once

Originally Posted by Admiral94
Actually I was the one that had the complete conversion kit for sale, but it's long gone.
Sorry, I knew it was someone near me.

Get notified of new replies

To How can i upgrade my Opti-Spark 1 to Opti-Spark 2 standards?

Quick Reply: How can i upgrade my Opti-Spark 1 to Opti-Spark 2 standards?