C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Jansenwins
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Removal

1985 stock L98. Getting ready to do major engine mods. This will be a warm weather, Saturday afternoon, fun car only. Streetable but kinda just barely.

Question...can I remove the heater and A/C crap? Anyone done it and have pics of the job completed? Anything significant to deal with in removing this stuff?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The hardest part wil be finding a way to install a new shorter serp belt as you will removing one of the components in the drive system.

Are you removing the heater core and A/C evaporator? That can be a big job in itself. The accumulator and condensor is not that big of a deal to pull especially if you will be going to a larger radiator. The hoses are easily pulled; just remember to have the R12 vacuumed out by a shop. An A/C shop may even buy the R12 from you.

The A/C unit operates when you put the system in Defrost mode. The A/C unit dehumidifies the interior air. So if you get any sort of moisture inside the car and the windshield fogs up, you will not have any real way of getting rid of it.

The engine generates a fair amount of heat (especially with long tube headers) that will flow into the interior. That can make the car very uncomfortable to drive on a warm day.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Jansenwins
Instructor

Thanks C4Cruiser....

Ultimately, I would like to gut it all out. My AC doesn't work now (probably just needs re-charged), so I would like to get rid of all the components. I didn't know about the R12 issue in terms of having it removed professionally.

This may be a bigger issue than I thought.

In terms of the belt issue...I am switching to race-style aluminum billet pulleys (double groove) set up. I will be simplifying the pulleys and belts set-up to drive the water pump and alternator only.

Am I crazy?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
86VX1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a post with all the info you may need to delete the A/C, and a few other items from the front of the engine. I did this setup and it works great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...mp&forum_id=48
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Jansenwins
Instructor

Originally Posted by VtVette
Here is a post with all the info you may need to delete the A/C, and a few other items from the front of the engine. I did this setup and it works great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...mp&forum_id=48
Thanks, that was very helpful. I am anxious to get started!

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Removal

Quick Reply: A/C Removal