C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

taking my 90 vette to the strip sunday

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:26 PM
olds442/vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking my 90 vette to the strip sunday suggesitons on easy adjustments

This sunday i am taking my 90 vette to the drag strip and was wondering if anyone had any suggesiotns on what i can do to tweak it to run the best most consistant time.

Last edited by olds442/vette; 05-05-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:41 AM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

You didn't say. Is it a six speed or automatic? For best time clean all storage bins out and remove as much excess weight as you can like remove the spare tire and carrier. If you have the tools and skill you may want to advance timing a couple of degrees. Make sure to get the best fuel you can in your area. A fresh oil change is always a good thing for a day at the track.

Do a nice little burnout to warm tires. You'll find that on a properly prepped track you'll hook way better than on the street.

For consistantcy with automatic just put it in drive (not OD) and hammer down. Let the tranny do the shifting.

For six speed consistancy pick a good RPM where it launches as fast as it can without spinning and try to launch there every time.Then find a good RPM like just before redline or right before it starts to not pull and shift at that RPM every gear, every run.

I have drag radials so I hook well and race with about a 1/4 tank of gas to shave weight. I take a can and add a little every run. Gas weighs roughly 7 lbs. per gallon If you have trouble hooking try running with a full tank and keep it full and drop the pressure in the rear tires to about 18 psi or so. If you have no traction problems then you may shave a few tenths running a lower tank, providing you have no fuel pick up issues with your fuel pump.

Thats all that comes to mind for quick and easy. I hope this helps and please report back on how you do. Have a blast and welcome to the addiction.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Good advice above...on rear tire pressure, the golden rule is run the highest pressure you can without spinning (less rolling resistance)...the track prep will have a lot to do with how much pressure you use...in the fronts, I up the pressure to 42 lbs. at the track...remember to put the pressures back to normal before you leave the track...good luck and have fun!...
Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
khartford
Pro

Received 636 Likes on 259 Posts

Default taking vette to strip

Originally Posted by skateparkdave
You didn't say. Is it a six speed or automatic? For best time clean all storage bins out and remove as much excess weight as you can like remove the spare tire and carrier. If you have the tools and skill you may want to advance timing a couple of degrees. Make sure to get the best fuel you can in your area. A fresh oil change is always a good thing for a day at the track.

Do a nice little burnout to warm tires. You'll find that on a properly prepped track you'll hook way better than on the street.

For consistantcy with automatic just put it in drive (not OD) and hammer down. Let the tranny do the shifting.

For six speed consistancy pick a good RPM where it launches as fast as it can without spinning and try to launch there every time.Then find a good RPM like just before redline or right before it starts to not pull and shift at that RPM every gear, every run.

I have drag radials so I hook well and race with about a 1/4 tank of gas to shave weight. I take a can and add a little every run. Gas weighs roughly 7 lbs. per gallon If you have trouble hooking try running with a full tank and keep it full and drop the pressure in the rear tires to about 18 psi or so. If you have no traction problems then you may shave a few tenths running a lower tank, providing you have no fuel pick up issues with your fuel pump.

Thats all that comes to mind for quick and easy. I hope this helps and please report back on how you do. Have a blast and welcome to the addiction.

Hey Skatepark,
How does leaving it in D work to your advantage? Won't OD work just as well? Just wondering......
Regards,
Ken
Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

TTT, thanks guys, me also in a week or two! (ricer challenge )
Old 05-08-2006, 02:20 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The converter will stay locked.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:07 AM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Is that it? I've just always heard that the 700r4 should be bracket raced in D, and not OD for consistancy and I guess I've never really questioned why.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

When I first started drag racing my vette I could not get myself to run in D (3rd)...I had visions of blowing up the motor before going through the traps...I had 3:73 gears btw....

Everyone kept telling me to stop running in OD (4th)...finally I got up the sand and went for it...I ran a much lower ET and higher mph!...I went through the traps just under redline and have been doing this ever since, over 4 years now...

When you run in OD the car will/may shift into 4th just before the traps and that extra shift slows you down and bleeds off mph...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always left mine in OD. I'm a little curious as to how leaving it in D would workout. And worried about redlining.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
86VX1
Drifting

it's monday now, what times did you put down?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:42 PM
jodyeastman
Racer

I always drive in D unless I'm doing highway (for gas milage only)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by skateparkdave
Is that it? I've just always heard that the 700r4 should be bracket raced in D, and not OD for consistancy and I guess I've never really questioned why.
I think its cause you will lose some acceleration if it shifts from D to OD prior to completing the 1/4 mile. You want to maintain the RPMs associated with D. (IMO)...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by RAGOVET
I think its cause you will lose some acceleration if it shifts from D to OD prior to completing the 1/4 mile. You want to maintain the RPMs associated with D. (IMO)...
Damn, I knew that when I wrote the advise Saturday but last night after a long beer Sunday I was drawing a blank.:o

So olds442/vette, how'd we do yesterday?

Get notified of new replies

To taking my 90 vette to the strip sunday

Quick Reply: taking my 90 vette to the strip sunday