C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Did I F up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 AM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I F up?

Ok, this weekend I messed with the TB, the IAC and the distributer. I cleaned up the TB and the IAC also made sure it was in adjustment and I took off and replaced the distributer.
Problem is this, car drove fine this morning to work, on the way home it was fine for the first 5 mins, after that it started acting up...misfires, sputtering...the works. 2 mins latter it gets even worse so much to the point I was coasting and could not get it to go once in gear. I then started to smell something like a burning smell (the exhaust) in the car...then the interior started to fill with smoke and this whole time I hear the exhaust makeing a god awful noise almost like its dragging. So I had to stop the first chance I get I open the hood and the only thing I could find wrong was I had forgot to hook up the hose running from the TB to the valve cover. After a few mins I started it back up and it ran rough for the 1 min drive home. Any ideas on what is the problem and how I can fix this? TIA (I am not driving the vette until its fixed)
Old 05-15-2006, 08:03 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Check the timing. Did you make sure that the distributor was tight?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 AM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

Yup, distributer is right. What could I have done that would have thrown the timing off?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:29 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pulled your distributor..make sure you didn't crimp the wires under the distributor when you re-installed it.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

I will check tonight. Could it be this thing?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:18 PM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

TTT...still need some suggestions on the problems and fixes. TIA
Old 05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by red_johnny
I will check tonight. Could it be this thing?
Thats your ignition coil. Who did that hack job?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
merlot566jka
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the hose that goes to ur TB was a vacuum hose for the valve cover, correct? that disconnected would cause a nasty vacuum leak. that can cause overheating in the cyl and make ur headers glow from heat! that could be the smoke cause. the timing may have sounded like it was off, but i bet it was the comp trying to adjust for the heat and possible knock. check ur plugs, if the are nice and white, good chance it was that hose....
Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

Prior owner did the hack job and I am thinking of replacing the unit and that plug just to be on the safe side. Thanks CC. Merlot thanks for the info..I will pull a plug tonight and check it out. I did not really think about it but that leak was more serious then I thought. If my plugs are white do I need to replace them? I am also going to check for wire damage as there was alot of smoke. Any other damage that I should be looking for? Thanks guys, your a HUGE help! I dunno what I would do without your help...well yeah I do, pay a mechanic a obsurd ammount of money to tell me what you guys do...lol. Again, thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 PM
red_johnny
Burning Brakes

This is the problem.
I reconnected the hose of course and me and a buddy pulled some stuff out checking for bad connections and we found/fixed one so we then started the car up and it purred at a perfect 930 RPMs for about 5 mins. Then we started wiggleing wires and as soon as I touched that burned up mess the car stumbled and shut off. I then could not start the car until I wiggled those wires some more. I am going to get to the junk yard and find me a new connector tomorrow until then I am most likely going to drive the vette like it is as my wife does need the other car. So a BIG thankyou to all of you who gave imput!

Get notified of new replies

To Did I F up?

Quick Reply: Did I F up?