Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
tjvette

Default Coolant puddle under transmission

I have a 94 LT1 and for the last 6 months I have been noticing a small puddle of coolant under the transmission when I start it. I found that the coolant is coming out of the small hole in the middle of the flywheel cover at the very bottom. The coolant comes out for the first couple of minutes then stops. (it looks like it collects overnight)

I checked the cooling lines going into the transmission on the passenger side and both are tight. Has anyone seen this problem before? I checked the FSM and it appears that the cooling lines go into the transmission oil pump. Does anyone know if there are replaceable seals on the pump that could be causing this?

If anyone has seen this can you tell me what kind of repair bill I am looking at? I know the transmission has to come out if it is an internal seal.

Thanks
tjvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Pete K
CF Senior Member

If it is coming from the back of the block and not trickling there from an intake (or other) leak, it could be the freeze plugs in the block. $1 part that adds $300 labor to it. I would suggest a pressure test to be absolutely sure it is what you suspect, before pulling out the trans.
Pete K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
tjvette

Thanks very much for the suggestion - a pressure test would make sense before going any further.

I will crawl under and see if I can see anything around the freeze plugs as well.

Thanks again
tjvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Corvette Kid
Large Upstanding Member
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Islam - Contributing not one damn thing to humanity for 1400 years

Yes, it has to be one of the core plugs in the rear of the block to be running out of there. The intake on an LT1 has no coolant passages and the banjo fittings at the rear of the heads could be the only other remote possibility I can think of. Your cooling lines BTW, carry transmission fluid to the radiator for cooling, not antifreeze to the transmission. As Pete said, a simple pressure test should pin-point the source and you're in all probability looking at a transmission R&R to make the repair. There are two back there so change them both. Actually it'd be a good idea to replace all of the core plugs in the block because rust has decayed them. This has been caused by a lack of proper cooling system maintenance over the years.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Pete K
CF Senior Member

Also, if the trans does have to come down, I recommend changing all of the external seals. $20 worth of parts and an hour or less will change them all. No one likes a drippy vette
Pete K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Coolant puddle under transmission