C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BPP vortex CIA vs 58mm Throttle body......

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:10 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BPP vortex CIA vs 58mm Throttle body......

Breathless Performance Products Cold air intake has a neck size of 76mm before going into the housing and connecting to the filter. I have a 58mm Holley throttle body and have a hard time believing that this neck isn't a bottleneck. From what i know lsx motors have 76mm TBs stock or something along those lines. Anyone know how much air a 76mm hole can flow? I believe the Holley TBs are 1000+ cfm.

Also the filter seems very very small for a 388 8k rpm stroker. i called BPP and they said its the same filter they use for the 427 ci lsx motors they have. We flow tested it and at 5 inches water or near that it flowed over 1100 cfm. Not sure what specs are used to flow TBs or intakes so i don't know if i should be comparing these #s. Comparing a stock paper viper filter it flowed 940 or so cfm using the same specs as the bpp was tested. May sound good but the Viper has TWO of those

I just can't help but feel this bpp unit can't flow enough. The stock setup has a huge filter surface area and doesn't seem to have any bottlenecks but im sure the bpp is documented to perform better than the stock unit. I was thinking to get a larger square K&N that fits the profile of the bpp airbox on the shroud but then again the bpp necks down to 76mm so that may be more of a restriction than the filter?

any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Also was wondering that if the 76mm neck isnt an issue.. to put a slp claw on and modify the bpp box over it and cut a hole where it needs to be in the shroud. I have no idea if the 3 smaller filters on the claw would flow more than the single Bpp one.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

The BPP vortex does little more than make your wallet lighter vs just using an open/cut airfilter lid. Same goes for the 'CLAW' as it has barely more filter area than the stock size.

For LT1's the best IMO is to just use a K&N with an open filter cover, unless you can do some custom REAL ram-air setup.

On my L98 vette I used the SLP Ram-Air which actually worked, and it got cold and forced air from a scoop in front of the radiator..

Only REAL Ram-Air setup I know of for an LT1 is the AO Forced Air system , which costs an arm and a leg, and you have to cut into your front bumper and stuff..
Old 05-22-2006, 11:48 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

I agree with you. The build quality is second to.... everything Too bad they can spend so much money on such nice designs on materials for the c5/6 guys and leave us with flimsy platic garbage. Its a shame, if it was the one system with better quality everyone would have it as there is not much competition here.

i've never been pulled over for not having a front license plate in the last 8 years with the car, but I'm afraid if i go with that real ram-air setup I'll be hassled and then won't be able to put a plate back on because i spent so much money. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Oh and just realized that the BPP plastic duct the filter attaches to is about 82mm in diameter. Not sure how that stacks up vs the twin 58mms. I believe the new c6z has a 90mm ?

Get notified of new replies

To BPP vortex CIA vs 58mm Throttle body......

Quick Reply: BPP vortex CIA vs 58mm Throttle body......