C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 AM
BrianY(84-Crossfire)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cam question

Hi again all,

I am in the process of taking a 1984 Crossfire and changing it over to TPI, new heads, new cam, and a newer computer.

I have already purchased TPI, heads, and computer/w/harnesses.

Has anyone with a TPI car switched out heads and cam and how was your result? I just wanted some input on what you guys have experienced (My target is a 12second car). Any input on what cams you guys are running aftermarket is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think I have ever seen a 12 second car with a stock TPI on it.

The stock TPI will run out of revs at about 5100 RPM... there just isn't enough torque down there to make up for the lack of RPMs.

You will have to port the hell out of it. And don't forget to clean up the heads.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You are wasting a lot of time, money, and effort converting to a stock TPI. Although technically more advanced, the performance of the TPI isn't any better than that of the Crossfire. For a little more money, I've spent about $1200.00 so far, I could have a 12 second Crossfire.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 PM
BrianY(84-Crossfire)
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for your help again in advance and sorry about having to post the following paragraph

(to EFI-CFI)
I am not asking your cranky opinion of my conversion. Just stating more facts to help with my question about a cam. If you do not have something about a cam you purchased EFI-CFI dont bother posting again here please. I know the way you work and try to get people all worked up. This time, no dice. Its simple... Your a waste of text..

now back to my post:

Thanks Bogus, the heads come back from the machine shop this Friday so they should be set. I will look into the Stock TPI and see what I can figure out.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:52 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Brian - you will have to port the hell out of the TPI... it is a pig.

CFI-EFI is right... the crossfire is capable of serious performance.

However, if you have your heart set on the TPI, go for it. Just be aware of the downsides.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
bogus
Team Owner

ok, before this spirals down into a pissing contest, let us just agree to disagree (I take my share of blame on this, but CFI was giving valid advice here).

Brian has every right to upgrade/convert to TPI. It's not how I would go, but it is a valid, and more cost effective route, compared with some of the thoughts I have (DFI or something of that nature).

As for cam, I am not well versed enough in them to help with selection.

It's just that the TPI is a torquey setup. As such, the cam you get had best to it's work down low, cause you don't want one that will come on at, oh, say 5500 rpm, because the TPI won't reach. Even ported, they run out at about 6000, tops. That number may even be a bit on the high side.

Check with www.tpis.com for some good options on cam choice.

The heads, are they stock iron or later aluminum or what? The 113s are the best, but 128s are pretty good. Either way, a good bit of careful porting will help a ton.

What year is the ECU? What injector do you intend to run? May I recommend the Ford Motorsport 24# (Blue Top) in a matched set. They are more expensive, but matched injectors are so very important with a batch style injection system.

Last edited by bogus; 05-30-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stocker 1988 with TPI ran out of oomph at 4600 and ran mid/low 14's. My suggestion for cam would be to maximize the strength of the TPI which is low-mid range torque. If you are going for 12's, you simply MUST 60' well.

It seems to me someone on this CF is running high 12's with a 350TPI. Don't remember who. It might pay to find that engine description and see what he did. Maybe this is in FAQ's? A long time ago I printed out the exceptional engine combo's by Mojo and this one was in there. There was , like about a dozen examples in the print-out.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrianY(84-Crossfire)
(to EFI-CFI)
I am not asking your cranky opinion of my conversion. Just stating more facts to help with my question about a cam. If you do not have something about a cam you purchased EFI-CFI dont bother posting again here please. I know the way you work and try to get people all worked up. This time, no dice. Its simple... Your a waste of text..
What was cranky about my post? The first person to use the word "cranky" seems to have initiated "cranky" into this thread. Other than the title, your post was as much about a waste of time conversion, as it was about a cam selection. I merely tried to offer up some sage advice on the subject. For a TPI cam change question, if that is really all it was meant to be, what was the point of mentioning the conversion, at all? Good luck on advising me as to where I should "bother" or shouldn't "bother" post. And speaking of a "waste"...

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:54 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by bogus
Brian has every right to upgrade/convert to TPI. It's not how I would go, but it is a valid, and more cost effective route, compared with some of the thoughts I have (DFI or something of that nature).
Of course, he has the RIGHT to spend his money any way he sees fit. I was merely trying to help him avoid a misstep. Maybe he is into masochism. It is NOT a "more cost effective route", however. While the conversion has cost, it is NOT effective. Therefore, NO cost effectiveness. Better EFI systems can be installed without stepping through the, waste of effort, TPI conversion.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:08 PM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

Not sure if this will help or not,not even sure if I should get involved here,but I think that I read that the cross fire system could be opened op to flow at about 1000 cfm.My only other suggestion would be,if you have your heart set on a TPI setup,to use one with short runners.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:29 PM
BrianY(84-Crossfire)
Intermediate

hahahaha, I knew that would get you rolling... nothing like a little bit of teasing for someone who likes to be provoked... thanks again CFI-EFI.

thanks for the other info guys (even you CFI-EFI). Now that I know how you work its awesome to poke at ya a bit. Kinda like the dog you have on a chain that you can tease occasionally. We know you know how to bite but its still fun to tease you. Thanks for the info on cost vs effectiveness. I will truely keep that in mind. However; it wont change the fact I am making the change and almost have all the parts together for it.

To all the other guys, thanks so much on the info. I will let ya know how the change over goes and I really appreciate the info CFI-EFI. You must work for the IRS hehehhehee ... always a pleasure to get ya involved...

Brian

Last edited by BrianY(84-Crossfire); 05-30-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Insane1
Pro

I just purchased a Lingenfelter LPE72411 roller cam to put into my '85 stroker. I have also purcahsed the Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads and are in the process of polishing them now. The cam cost me $269 and the retro-fit roller lifters were another $500. I am using dish pistons and will have about a 10.6:1 scr when I am done. Up from about 8:1 scr. Hopefully that will make it go a little better then before. I ported/polished/siamesed the intake/runners/plenum. On my 383 doing that was good for about 24 rwhp on my 383.

Here are a couple of pics

Get notified of new replies

To New Cam question

Quick Reply: New Cam question