C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installed New Aluminum heads, leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Jer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed New Aluminum heads, leaking coolant

I am in the process of installing new Edelbrock aluminum heads on my '85. I am bolting it back together. I filled the block with coolant from the intake neck hole and noticed coolant leaking out from between the heads and the block. I used Edelbrock head gaskets. The instructions said to install them dry, I assumed that meant dry on both sides. I also used ARP thread sealant for the bolts.

Should I have put sealant on the block side of the head gaskets? Did I not put enough ARP thread sealant on the head bolts? I torqued the head bolts down in proper sequence. Moreover, the block deck was pretty clean when I installed the heads and gaskets.

I would hate to tear it all down again. Should I just take the head bolts out and put more ARP thread sealant on? I didn't put a ton on so that may be it. It says on the tube to put some underneath the bolt heads, which I didn't do. However, it is leaking from between the block and the heads. This would be a simpler fix than reinstalling the head gaskets as I already have the intake and accessories on.

Anyone else had this happen?
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:56 PM
rightofway
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it possible that you car was overheated once in the past and the old heads and deck warped
Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I can't imagine it leaking that easily even if you put no sealer on the bolts. The reason for putting it under the bolt heads is for lubrication for proper and even torquing, not for sealing. If coolant gets to the bolt head, you're already screwed. You can try resealing the bolts but I suspect there's something worse wrong here.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Jer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I don't think the car has ever been overheated. I have owned it for 12 years since it had 46k miles. It has had a pretty cushy life. I am going to take a closer look at this tomorrow morning. The only other thing I can think of is that there was a metal tab that went between the head and the deck, about where the fan sensor is on the passenger side. This may be enough to keep the head from sealing perhaps. I figured it would just press into the aluminum. It does appear to only be leaking from the passenger side. I will look closer. If that is the case, perhaps I can pull that tab out and retorque the heads.

I didn't put a ton of the ARP thread sealer on this side as I started to run out. I just coated the threads lightly. I was hoping perhaps that was the problem. Maybe I should have put more sealant on the threads? It really dripped out fast after I filled the block with coolant, which makes me wonder.

I am pretty disappointed as I have spent countless hours on the project and was looking forward to finishing it up this weekend. I guess the positive is that the second time you do a job it is easier!

So, with aluminum heads, gaskets are installed dry on both sides, not just on the head side, correct?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jer
So, with aluminum heads, gaskets are installed dry on both sides, not just on the head side, correct?
Yes

Get notified of new replies

To Installed New Aluminum heads, leaking coolant

Quick Reply: Installed New Aluminum heads, leaking coolant