C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

front end shake/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:45 AM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Default front end shake/vibration

hello all,when i reach 60-65 mph there is a shake/vibration in the front end.not readily apparent below or above those speeds.i have had the front tires rebalanced and it seemed a little better but was still present.if i put the adj. suspension to the stiffest setting it helps some.when i take the roof out it is unbearable.you can see the steering wheel shake.when i bought the car we checked the front end out and everything seemed ok.the shocks are original and have 95k on them.if they were the cause i would think it would be noticeable at other speeds as well.??i am ready to put an r-d racing camber brace on the car.will this help or is it unrelated/or a band aid for the problem?any thoughts or suggestions? thanks guys, george
Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't say if the tires are new. Normally shimmy at 60-65 IS a balance problem. Were they spin balanced? 95K on shocks is a lot but that is probably NOT the problem. Have a good front end shop check your front suspension. If it's not the tires $$$ that something is worn past spec!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you didn't have your wheels balanced on a Hunter GSP9700 vibration analyzer, you really didn't have them balanced at all.
And, no, I don't own stock in Hunter.

Read these threads:
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/technical/4127T/4127t.cfm

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=gsp9700

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 06-05-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To front end shake/vibration

Quick Reply: front end shake/vibration