C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP STUCK IN DRIVEWAY 1987 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:35 AM
vettefest
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP STUCK IN DRIVEWAY 1987 Won't start

My car will crank but won't start. First a little history. My car sat in storage for 6 months. Before I stored it changed the oil, and filled gas tank with premium and disconnected the battery.

April connected the battery and tried to start the car. The battery was dead. Replaced the battery. Now the car cranks but won't start. Tried again 3 days later. The battery died. Determined that there must be a draw. It was a loose ground.

I drained the gas tank and filled it with premium.

The car still cranks but won't start. I've opened full throttle and the car still won't start.

I've changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor and spark plugs.

Checked fuel pressure. injectors seem to pulse, I'm getting plenty of spark and fuel pressure.

When I spray starting fluid into the throttle body. The car starts and runs until it dissapates. This is the only way I can get it to start. I floor the gas pedal and it still sputters and dies.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

chicagomods@yahoo.com
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 AM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

If your car will run on starting fluid,then you have a fuel delivery problem.Possibly your fuel pump is not pumping.I would check the conections to the pump,or the screen filter on the pump.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:03 AM
vettefest
Heel & Toe

I've installed a new pump
Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefest

Checked fuel pressure. injectors seem to pulse, I'm getting plenty of spark and fuel pressure.

When I spray starting fluid into the throttle body. The car starts and runs until it dissapates. This is the only way I can get it to start. I floor the gas pedal and it still sputters and dies.

You don't have an ignition problem. If you did, it wouldn't run on ether.

You don't have a fuel delivery problem. If you did, you wouldn't have fuel pressure at the rail.

You don't have a compression problem. If you did, it wouldn't run on ether.

Your injectors aren't injecting. Check for electrical pulses with a noid light.

Be well,

SJW
Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

How long ago did you replace the fuel pump?

Is it possible your main pump fuse is blown?

Have you checked the pressure on the line to see if your getting fuel delivery?

Have you checked the TPS senser for voltage?

Despite replacing the fuel pump, at times wird things happen to cars that sit just be careful to check all sytems and if you have a scan tool perhaps you might have a CODE stored you could check! But it does sound like you have a fuel delivery problem and or pulse rpoblem to the injecters. (Remember you need air,fuel,spark to ignite-when you spray starter fluid you are compensating for the your one MISSING element;FUEL-and then it runs)

Hope this will help! Please let us know what you find so if anyone else get's this problem they'll be able to attack it too!

Thanks, Matt
Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 AM
vettefest
Heel & Toe

I replaced the fuel pump yesterday. I can hear it turn on. I'm really at a loss. Someone told maybe its the fuel pressure regulator or TPS. Are these easy and cost effective repairs?

Thank you,

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you hooked up the fuel pressure guage and turned the key to on..you should have seen 40-42 lbs., but how long did it stay there? if it bled down fast..it's either FP, FPReg. or injectors. You might want to ohm your injectors..they should read around 15-16 ohms, but the main thing is they should all be very close together..1 or more low readings and you'll know what the problem is. You may also want to run a wire from the positive post on your battery to terminal G,on the ALDL,this should activate the fuel pump, just to confirm. BTW, just read the above, you should be able to pull the hose off the FPReg., if you see signs of gas...it tells you it needs replacing.But, I think you should do the pressure test, ohm the injectors and let us know.

Last edited by rick lambert; 06-14-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

I replaced the fuel pump yesterday. I can hear it turn on. I'm really at a loss. Someone told maybe its the fuel pressure regulator or TPS. Are these easy and cost effective repairs?

Thank you,

If the fuel pressure at the rail is within spec, forget about a fault with the pump or pressure regulator.

Be well,

SJW
Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 AM
vettefest
Heel & Toe

The pressure guage says 47. Could it be a vacuum leak?
Could I have a bad MAF or TPS?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

And after the key was turned off..how long did the pressure hold???
Anything is possible, but from what I've seen and read, a MAF, or TPS will usually throw a code before it totally pukes.And I wouldn't suspect them to go bad from just sitting. Have you checked for any codes?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

The pressure guage says 47. Could it be a vacuum leak?
Could I have a bad MAF or TPS?
Will it start if you hold the throttle wide open? If not, I'd forget about a vacuum leak.

MAF or TPS? Unlikely for these reasons:

Car ran fine until parked for the winter, then would not come to life

Car runs on ether.

47PSI at the rails exonerates the fuel pump and FPR. Running on ether exonerates the ignition system and any compression-related issues. Look elsewhere.

Lift the covers from the fuel rails, and check for rodent damage to the injector wiring harness.

Get a noid light on the injectors to verify presence/absence of pulses.

How did things look when you were in the tank swapping the pump? Did you see anything ugly? I would ordinarily expect fuel to keep for the few months that this car was stored, but you may have some fuel that went bad, gumming up the injectors, etc. If necessary, hang the injectors over a bucket and see if they spray fuel when you crank the engine (do this carefully, and with a fire bottle handy).

Be well,

SJW
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

47 lbs does not exonerate anything if the pressure drops rapidly after key is turned off, quite the contrary.If it does drop rapidly it points to either injector(s) fuel pump or pressure regulator.That's why I asked how long it held in the first place.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
vettefest
Heel & Toe

According to my friend we're getting pulse on the injectors. Explain how do I hold the injectors over a bucket? Please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rick lambert
47 lbs does not exonerate anything if the pressure drops rapidly after key is turned off, quite the contrary.If it does drop rapidly it points to either injector(s) fuel pump or pressure regulator.That's why I asked how long it held in the first place.
I would agree that if the FP falls off quickly after key-off it could cause slow starting. But if it develops 47PSI at the rails, the car should at least start and run.

Be well,

SJW
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

According to my friend we're getting pulse on the injectors. Explain how do I hold the injectors over a bucket? Please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Yank the fuel rail and injectors, and hang 'em over a bucket. Crank the engine. Exercise appropriate cautions when working with uncontained fuel (no sparks or open flames, fire bottle handy, etc).

Be well,

SJW
Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

unless he has stuck injector(s) dumping all that fuel and flooding or fouling the plugs with gas.Checking with a noid light only tells him if the injectors are getting the signal, an ohms test will tell if the injector coils are working.And watching HOW long it takes for the pressure to drop will tell him the health of either injectors, regulator or check valve in the fuel pump.That is still my question, how long does the pressure hold?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rick lambert
unless he has stuck injector(s) dumping all that fuel and flooding or fouling the plugs with gas.Checking with a noid light only tells him if the injectors are getting the signal, an ohms test will tell if the injector coils are working.And watching HOW long it takes for the pressure to drop will tell him the health of either injectors, regulator or check valve in the fuel pump.That is still my question, how long does the pressure hold?
Good point, Rick, about flooding due to leaking injectors. But the fact that the car will start when he feeds it ether still makes me think it's a fuel starvation issue, rather than an excessive-fuel issue...

Be well,

SJW
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

SJW has it right. Running on starter fluid only proves that the engine is NOT getting fuel, the injectors clearly are not spraying fuel !!!!!!!!!
Use a noid light or a low power 12v lamp and see if the injectors are receiving pulses during cranking (in spite of what your friend told you). Check both injector fuses with an ohmeter.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 AM
vettefest
Heel & Toe

thank you for your help it was the tps/

Get notified of new replies

To HELP STUCK IN DRIVEWAY 1987 Won't start

Quick Reply: HELP STUCK IN DRIVEWAY 1987 Won't start