C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DANA36 do 3.07's fit in 2.59 carrier

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DANA36 do 3.07's fit in 2.59 carrier

Hi all,

Just wondering if 3.07 gears fit in a standard dana 36 that originally had 2.59 gears, or if they use a slightly different carrier when the gears get numerically higher (as is the case with other diffs I have come across, DANA 30 for example which has different carriers for above and below 3.73).

Cheers,

cosmicvette
Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
mk842766
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a new carrier, as the gears won't be thick enough with the carrier you have. Got mine from Ikerd's....highly recommended....
Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The 2-series case (2.59/2.73) is different from the 3-series case (3.07 and lower), so no, factory 3.07 gears will not fit into the 2-series case.

They used to use spacers to change them, but I'd stay away from that.

There are many companies that make lower ratios made to fit into the 2-series case though.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Cosmic i have a DANA 36 sitting here i can put any ratio in it for you if you like, its currently a 2.59 as well, but i could make it what ever you like really(as long as i can get the parts). The whole unit itself is in perfect condition, i took it out of my 94 when i whacked in the DANA 44. Email me if youre interested.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

For a little more clarification: Most of these questions don't define the terms of the question and most often the answers do nothing to clear things up. There is nothing wrong with any of the responses above, but it is unclear to me if the original poster is truly aware of what it is that CAN be different. To answer whether "3.07 gears fit in a standard dana 36 that originally had 2.59 gears, or if they use a slightly different carrier when the gears get numerically higher" we need to know what you mean by "carrier". Any Dana 36 carrier, carrier and caps, the main outer differential casting, will take any ratio gears made for the Dana 36. The internal case, the diff case, posi case, or ring gear carrier (which ever you prefer to call it) has to have the ring gear flange in the proper location for the thickness of the ring rear. The OEM manufacturers makes gear sets in a series of ratios. When the thickness of the ring gear becomes too great, the manufacturer makes a different ring gear case with the ring gear flange offset from the last case so that subsequent ratio gear sets can be made with a reasonable ring gear thickness. Often the manufacturer will change the flange location at even ratio increments. So that, for example, all gear sets with a ratio of two point something, fit on one part number ring gear case, and gears with the ratio of three point something, fit on a different part number ring gear case. Hence the commonly referred to, "two series" or "three series" diff case.

The factory 3.07 gears, which WILL fit inside of your Dana 36 carrier, carrier and caps, the main outer differential casting, will require a "3 series" internal case, diff case, posi case, or ring gear carrier (which ever you prefer to call it) to fit properly. For some ratios, the aftermarket makes a special "thick ring gear" gear set that will allow a lower, slower, (numerically higher) ratio set of gears to fit on the case for faster, higher, ratio gears. I am not aware of any "thick ring gear" gear sets made for the Dana 36 in the 3.07 ratio, so unless you discover some, you will have to change the internal case, the diff case, posi case, or ring gear carrier, (which ever you prefer to call it) from a "2 series" to a "3 series". I hope that makes sense to all.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah mate, i followed it all no worries I think youre right about the lack of a 3.07 set in thicks to suit the 2 series, i only really know of 3.54s and 3.73s being common.

So in terms of options here for you Cosmic, i would personally sugest the 3.54:1 thick option (others will have other opinions), cause id say its going to cost abit less, unless you can get a used 3.07 with the 3 series carrier (which i reckon i can probably track one down locally if you need the help) and also depends on whether or not you want to go new or used parts.

ALSO, dont forget you need the speedo sensor drive gears . I know these can be had locally.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Good info in this thread. I learned something here today as I so often do on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To DANA36 do 3.07's fit in 2.59 carrier

Quick Reply: DANA36 do 3.07's fit in 2.59 carrier