C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 09:24 PM
ImBambi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!!

Ok guys and gals... are you ready for the list of problems that came with my 1993 Vette?
1. Internittent starting, starter doesn't roll over, other times starter turns over fine but there is no spark and car will not fire.
2. Security light is flashing while driving.
3. Sys light flashes while driving.
4. Service ride control light is on constantly.
5. Service ASR light is on intermittently.
Lumbar controls in seats don't work.
6. Bose CD player only works after player gets hot.
7. Bose Radio sometimes won't shut off when drivers door is opened.
8. Sometimes the heater controls won't work at all.

I just got it back from the shop after 3 1/2 weeks and $2000 worth of work and guess what??? It still won't start on demand!!! They installed a new starter and ignition. did 10 hours of diagnostic work and it is still embarrassing to try and start in a crowd. Good thing I got a great price on it, huh? Can anybody please help me? I have only gotten to drive it for a week since I bought it and now I am regretting my purchase badly. Thank you in advance for all of your wonderful advice.

[Modified by ImBambi, 3:29 AM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-01-2001, 09:29 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (ImBambi)

We all have our moments.. Maybe the optispark is toasted? Ever get the engine wet?
Old 09-01-2001, 09:31 PM
Bob Hovey
Pro

Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (ImBambi)

Have you purchased it recently? If so, does your state support a lemon law?

:( Sorry to hear about your problems.

Bob
Old 09-01-2001, 10:45 PM
mshay
Racer

Not sure about the starting problem but,
-Try replacing the pin switch the detects if the door is open. Mine was causing some of the same problems with the radio and interior lights.

-Lumbar seat problems are common. I had to replace the diaphragm in both pumps. I think the tech tips section has a good post on doing this repair.

-Never been a real have of Delco radios. You can send it off to be repaired, but I would just replace it and the speakers. You'll have better sound in the long run.

-Check the brake fluid level. a low level will give an error code

-Do you have the auto climate control? If so they routinely fail about this age. I pulled mine about a year ago and cleaned the contacts. Seemed to help for a while, but I just bought a used from a wrecked '95 because I got tired of not being able to turn mine AC off. Easy swap. Takes about 30 min.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:34 PM
ImBambi
4th Gear

Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (Bob Hovey)

I bought it in Washington, which only gave me 3 days to figure out if it was a lemon (I think). The problems started about the end of the 3rd day and my salesman assured me that EVERYTHING would be taken care of by the warranty company (who by the way wanted to fix virtually nothing.) Unfortunately at that point, I believed my salesman... go figure. :cry

[Modified by ImBambi, 3:44 AM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-01-2001, 11:40 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The lemon law ONLY applies to NEW cars, not used cars.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:41 PM
morphious
Race Director

Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (Sarkee)

Stick it out. As time passes it slowly becomes yours and a part of you, with your own personality. Spent a small fortune on mine, and honestly I probably could have gotten a "better" one than what I have, but what is "better". Now this one is mine, there is none better for me. For me, I am fortunate, I have a good job with a company car so though it sucks not to have it I at least can still get by. Good luck, and again stick with it, nothing matters now except that that baby is yours. :chevy :chevy
Old 09-02-2001, 12:01 AM
ImBambi
4th Gear

Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (Sarkee)

Oh believe me... I am staying FAR away from that shop now. Too little, too late. I will have hubby check the other things you mentioned. Can you tell me how to perform a "code search" on it. I know I read it somewhere in these 100,000+ posts but can't find it again. Thanks to you and everyone for all of the advice so far. I am printing every reply.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:17 AM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can recommend here from experience.... DO NOT replace the BOSE system. Yes I was a sceptic cuz Bose is really over hyped, and yes I replaced mine. With enough time and money you can have a better sounding system, but it will cost you space for a small sub. There are no inexpensive and easy to wire head unit/ speaker combos that will rival the BOSE. The Bose use amps at each speaker. The closet you could do would be to have a amp installed in the car somewhere, again more room, and as we all know, if were taling daily driver, space is not to take more granted in these cars.
Paul
Old 09-02-2001, 12:35 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (Nomar116)

What ever you do, get rid of the Bose system. I know of no other radio that costs so much and delivers so little. Bose uses cheap speakers that cost 3-4$ each to manufacturer. Their head units fry and break at the slightest provocation, and the amps are weak and prone to break. Just look at how many people post asking for amp replacements. If you want a real system, rip it out. If you want to save space, you can still have a good system and not sacrifice room. Put a head unit in the dash, seperate speakers in the front and good quality speakers in the rear. One amp will power them all. If you mount it properly, it will either be invisible or take up no space at all depending on the equipment you get and the model you have. And the performance should if you buy decent or better stuff, blow the blose away. You should expect to spend under $1000 on equipment. Bose doesn't have bass so saying that you will sacrifice space for bass is not valid. You will gain moderate amounts of bass with good 6x9 in the rear if properly powered and installed.

On a side note, replace your door pin switches in the doors. It will probably take care of several of your problems and they can wear or be damaged easily. They may appear to be working properly but do it anyway as they may work intermittently and it can be hard to test them to make them fail. Trust me as I installed these as part of my car alarm installs when I was a professional sterio/alarm installer for several years at one of the more reputable installation shops in the NY area.
92TripleBlack

Old 09-02-2001, 01:24 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The intermittent starting and no spark are hair pullers. When the starter won't crank or no spark, that is the time to start experimenting and making measurements to find out what is preventing cranking/spark. If your husband will work on it, then you need some service manuals which have procedures in them to determine what is wrong. If you stick with it, everything will be repaired and you will be happy. I hope you have something in writing from whomever you bought the car from to determine the extent of their responsibility. A verbal assurance from a salesperson isn't worth the paper it wasn't written on. I would see a lawyer if the shop that charged you 2k$ doesn't fix what they claimed they fixed, and I would make sure that they understand that you aren't going to pay any more either. Let your husband do the talking at the shop, he will get further, or maybe let your lawyer do the talking. Good Luck.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:09 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!! (jfb)

Sounds like a reasonably reliable Vette to me aside from the starting problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!!

Quick Reply: Buying this '93 Vette was a moment of temporary insanity!!!!