C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

digital dash problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default climate control problem-digital dash problem

DIGITAL DASH FIXED... THANKS EVERYONE... IS THERE A SIMILIAR FIX FOR THE CLIMATE CONTROL. IT IS DISPLAYING SIMILIAR PROBLEMS AS MY DASH... THAT IS RANDOM FLASHING... BUT IT GOES AWAY WHEN I HIT THE OFF BUTTON.

I must have a loose connection and I am going to be taking my interior apart soon to try to fix it.. here is what is going on.

The entire digital display starts flashing with no ryhme or reason to it.... but when I tap the lower pad under the dash it goes back to normal... is there a switch there or a connection..

Just curious what your guys thoughts are before I start disassembling and looking around

HH

Last edited by lawcorvette; 08-01-2006 at 01:52 PM. Reason: fixed dash but have similiar problem with climate control
Old 07-17-2006, 01:54 AM
jan-erik
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.
I have an 85 4+3 and the digital dash is the same( at least the problems and the repair.
I send you the address to a very nice page where you can see how to repair your dash. I had also a flashing dash but when there was no light the three lights on the bottom of the dash (high beam and directional lights) were ighting up.
Address: http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/
Good luck
Old 07-17-2006, 02:57 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jan-erik
This is an excellent primer on DIY repairs. Easy to understand and follow.

My only suggestion is to be very careful when reassembling the LCD stack.

If you hear a crunch when tightening the LCD screws, You've broken a guage.

Thats about a 100 bucks to replace each unit.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If it is the backlight lamps that are intermittent here is my standard answer: The cluster has two circuit boards that plug together with a single row of pins on the front board into a socket on the rear board. The end pin closest to the center of the circuit board carries the lamp current and an age relaxed spring on this pin and the lamp current through it causes enough heat to unsolder the pin causing an intermittent connection. A permanent cure is to solder a short piece of insulated hookup wire from the pin to the socket. Resoldering the pin will not fix this problem. I did this about 8 years ago and have had no trouble since and I drive my 87 everyday.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:01 AM
lawcorvette
Racer

thanks guys.

your description is exactly is real similar to what I have going on...

"I had also a flashing dash but when there was no light the three lights on the bottom of the dash (high beam and directional lights) were lighting up."

In your case was it a bad ground to the body or did you have to take the whole unit apart and resodder. I am a little worried about trying to sodder connections. When I look into it more, I guess I will know. I am working on the car in the next weekend

HH
Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Default That Worked Great

Thanks everyone... resoldered the connection between the boards and just like new.

NOW- does anyone know how to fix the climate control. Is there a similiar fix?

HH
Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Default ttt

ttt
Old 08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Remove the climate control head from the dash. Get some electrical contact cleaner spray and some Q tips. Spray the Q tip with contact cleaner and wipe all the small male pins on the socket in the control head. Pull on the tabs at the rear of the control head to release the circuit board in the control head, pull the circuit board out and use the Q tip on the circuit board fingers. Re-insert the circuit board and re-install the control head.

Get notified of new replies

To digital dash problem

Quick Reply: digital dash problem