C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

wiring help with wideband

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Scott94C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wiring help with wideband

Hey guys,

I am trying to install a zeitronix wideband O2. I am trying to wire up the Zt-2 module which calls for hooking up one wire to the tach signal, one to switched +12V, one as a simulated narrowband O2.

Where can I find these wires? According to the documentation I have, the tach signal is a white wire coming into C230 plug. Where is this C230, I have the under-the-instrument panel off (looking in the passenger compartment right inside the firewall pass-through), but I can't find it. Pictures would be great, but I understand it may be tough to pull off. There are tons of white wires. I need an easy place to tie into.

Also, my documentation says that any pink wire ("as a general rule")is a switched +12V source. Is this true? I have a DMM, but this would be easier as I am having trouble doing the contorsionist act while having a flash light in my mouth and moving wires out of the way (in the 100+ Deg Texas heat! YIKES).

Where do I plug in the simulated narrowband wire? I am completely lost here. Do I just tap into one of the wires coming out of the removed O2 sensor?

One last question, I have an extra item I can monitor but it must be 0-5V analog signal. Any ideas what I should log (I am thinking TPS)? I am going to use datamaster at the same time for tuning.

Here is what the install says:

PIN # WIRE COLOR FUNCTION
1 RED Switched power (ex. ignition)
2 WHITE Wideband Analog Output
3 GREEN RPM Input. 0-12V square wave, tach signal or primary (low voltage) side of ignition coil.
4 ORANGE Boost Sensor Input
5 Empty Not used
6 YELLOW Zeitronix Boost Sensor +5V Power. Connect ONLY to Zeitronix Boost Sensor.
7 BLACK Power Ground
8 BROWN Sensor Ground (EMS ground reference)
9 PURPLE Simulated Narrowband O2 Output (for your stock ECU)
10 GREY Throttle Position Sensor
11 BROWN Sensor Ground (Boost Sensor ground reference)
12 BLUE User Input 0-5VScott
Old 08-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Scott94C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott94C4
PIN # WIRE COLOR FUNCTION
1 RED Switched power (ex. ignition)
2 WHITE Wideband Analog Output
3 GREEN RPM Input. 0-12V square wave, tach signal or primary (low voltage) side of ignition coil.
4 ORANGE Boost Sensor Input
5 Empty Not used
6 YELLOW Zeitronix Boost Sensor +5V Power. Connect ONLY to Zeitronix Boost Sensor.
7 BLACK Power Ground
8 BROWN Sensor Ground (EMS ground reference)
9 PURPLE Simulated Narrowband O2 Output (for your stock ECU)
10 GREY Throttle Position Sensor
11 BROWN Sensor Ground (Boost Sensor ground reference)
12 BLUE User Input 0-5VScott

Okay I figured out the wiring. Any one have ideas on a useful 0-5v signal to tap into for the user input?

does the knock sensor output a 0-5v signal?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,Scott
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Map sensor is 0-5, you running boost? thats a good one to help you tune if you are.. helps show where ya need fuel at different map pressure.

TPS is 0-5v roughly

not sure about the knock sensor.. most what I have read says it is a voltage signal sent to the PCM but I don't have solid information on that since I got spoiled with the Gen 7 DFI.

Chris
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Scott94C4
Racer

Originally Posted by lcvette
Map sensor is 0-5, you running boost? thats a good one to help you tune if you are.. helps show where ya need fuel at different map pressure.

TPS is 0-5v roughly

not sure about the knock sensor.. most what I have read says it is a voltage signal sent to the PCM but I don't have solid information on that since I got spoiled with the Gen 7 DFI.

Chris

Good thoughts. I have a map sensor with the zeitronix that I am going to install and it has dedicated inputs for that. Also, it already has a dedicated signal for TPS too. So both of those are covered.

I believe that the knock sensor just sends out an analog waveform of the sound that it receives. I don't know if it amplifies the signal or not. I believe that in our ECM the knock sensor signal gets sent to a knock sensor interface IC that converts from A->D and back to A. After some band pass filtering to get rid of noise (i believe), it comes out as a 0-5/5.5V signal which is read by the ECU. The IC in the ECM should be similar to a TPIC5101 device.

I thought about using the signal coming out of the knock sensor, but I don't think it will work (and frankly, I am really too lazy to just try it out first). I guess I might just not use the user input.

Just wondering if anyone has plugged it into anything useful.

LCVETTE Thanks for the reply!
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To wiring help with wideband

Quick Reply: wiring help with wideband