C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

this is what i paid for my brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 10:47 AM
jackyy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is what i paid for my brakes...

i changed my brakes at a midas shop..the price i paid for rotors(front and back) and front and back pads and the labour was 1030$ canadian..which translates to about 700$ us...the pads are bendix and the rotors i dont know but it was all top products..
can you beleive that GM wanted 317.98$ canadian(180$ us) just for front pads!
anyway what do you guys think ..did i get ripped?
thanx
Old 09-06-2001, 11:51 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: this is what i paid for my brakes... (jackyy)

You got seriously ripped. GM overcharges everything. You would have been much better off taking it to a good mechanic or doing it yourself.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:11 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: this is what i paid for my brakes... (Nat96LT4)

That's alot 4 a brake job. I did mine last month @ my shop and I never charged that much on any of my customers cars. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 09-06-2001, 02:25 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: this is what i paid for my brakes... (35th)

I recently had brakes done at my friendly independent Vette guy. Replaced all pads and turned rotors (fronts and rears). Price was about $450. I know that the front pads alone accounted for almost $200 but these are the OEM type AC Delco pads). I know that you can get front pads much cheaper but I have heard from numerous people that the OEM pads work better and are quieter. I do not feel that I got a great deal but then again I do not feel that I got ripped off on this.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:44 PM
traxx1
Racer

I replaced all padt on my 89 roadster, front ac delco was $96 my price and rear ac delco was $16 had all roaters turned for $32 plus about $8 for brake fluid, it took 6 hours to complete the whole job but hay im a poor man driveing a corvette, AND PROUD OF IT.

:jester TRAXX1 :jester
Old 09-06-2001, 05:58 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you can't do it yourself your going to pay.
Noone works for free.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:16 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: this is what i paid for my brakes... (traxx1)

US$700 looks high to me. I just put new NAPA ceramix pads on my 1996 and they cost be $200 for parts. I did not replace the rotor, but the parts could run $400 - $500 for the set.

There are different ways to look at this.

1) All mechanics make a profit on parts. This is standard procedure for not only auto repair shops but any service business. Generally, the customer pays list price and the shop buys from the supplier at about a 25%-50% discount depending on the part and supplier. You can buy expensive but high quality USA manufactured parts or cheaper imported parts. Perhaps, Midas used first quality parts and the price reflects it.

2) Shops are in business to provide a service and make a profit. Chains shops, although independent franchises, are suppose to provide first class service but a perhaps a slightly higher price. And all shops are entitled to make a profit. How else are they going to pay their people, rent, utilities, insurance, equipment, etc. and return on investment to the owner.

3) Some people want to have a experienced professional do the work as their time is worth something. For example, someone that makes $100,000 a year earns about $48 per hour and if they pay a shop $60/hour then its worth their time not to do the work.

4) Not everyone has the skill or desire to do a brake job. That is not the case for me, but I know people that have no desire to do this. My mom is an example.

5) The work is generally guaranteed. If anything happens, the customer can go back and have it fixed at no charge. There is no free lunch and the shop must bury the cost for providing this guarantee in all their work.

Old 09-06-2001, 10:16 PM
GUMPA
Drifting

They are really pretty easy to do......
paid $149 for front and $50 for rear......did work myself :yesnod:
Old 09-06-2001, 11:50 PM
myruby2
Instructor

$1030.... Ouch!
I did mine myself. Man am I glad now. I always say to people when I try to explain how to do something, that 'it's easier then it sounds or looks...' But this is easier then it sounds or looks. Really!
Old 09-07-2001, 12:49 AM
Tony.96LT4
Burning Brakes

Listen to what myruby2 (Dale) says. Really easy to do. I paid $80 front/$70 rear, for EBC brakes from tirerack.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:33 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced mine and paid retail for performance friction pads, $137. I replaced all four rotors as well, GM original ones for $250. I looked for cheaper rotors, but what I found was just that, CHEAP rotors. If you do the work yourself you will save a lot when it comes to brakes, it's one of the easiest things you can do on your car yourself.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:19 AM
Bradley3
Instructor

Easy to do??

Well I need to get some new pads put on my front wheels....

I've had VERY LITTLE experience w/ fixing cars so I'm really quite clueless. I'd like to start learning though.

Would this be a good place to start or should I stick w/ taking it to a REAL mechanic?
Old 09-10-2001, 09:37 AM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: this is what i paid for my brakes... (Bradley3)

Bradley:

See if anyone you know is capable of this job. I made friends with my mechanic(coffee&doughnuts in the morning, cold water or Pepsi on hot days, etc.) and he allows me to watch them do any jobs that I am unsure about. Over the last 4 years I've learned how to do every thing but an engine rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To this is what i paid for my brakes...

Quick Reply: this is what i paid for my brakes...