C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C compressor clutch problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor clutch problem !!!

My a/c has had the line broken before the evaporator for a while. it broke during removal of my engine 4 years ago. 3 weeks back after some high rpm bonzai driving noticed smoke from underhood when i stopped. When i popped the hood the a/c compressor was smoking behind the belt right on the pulley. The circular piece on the a/c pulley, and Im assuming this is part of the clutch assembly burned white and was smoking.

I just ran down and removed the belt and tried roating the pulley. Clockwise the pulley has resistance and then none.. almost as if its engaged then disengages. im guessing this is normal when the a/c is on because my power steering pump when removed did the same thing. Counter-clockwise there is no resistance.

questions are.. what direction do the accessories turn? ( i removed my all my stickers lol)

and is my a/c compressor clutch is fried in the engaged position ??

Im tempted to purchase the A/C delete option but am curious for the time being wether or not i could just remove the clutch inside it if its bad.

Last edited by DieL; 08-08-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

clockwise, probably took out the front bearing, but with the system open that long I'd replace the compressor (if it's not shot already)
Old 08-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

2 things, 1st if you ever plan to use the A/C again, you will have to replace he compressor and Accumulator, evaporator, all seals and have the hoses cleaned.
2nd, if not, than just take the compressor out and replace it with a pulley. I have heard of this being done. Also, you can probably get a belt that is short enough to bypass the compressor.

The 1st option is going to be expensive.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieL
My a/c has had the line broken before the evaporator for a while. it broke during removal of my engine 4 years ago.
One thing is for sure, if it's the Evap to the Accumulator hose for a 93you will not find it at the normal Corvette places (Ecklers, Corvette Central, etc.. I have search almost 50 stores and no one had it. I finally found it at http://www.corvettepartsman.com/

If you decide to remove your AC all together, make sure you post it on Ebay, you'll find alot of people need the different hoses...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

I'm debating on taking the entire A/C out of the car. I mainly drive the car during nights and after midnight so heat isn't really a problem. However cruising with the fiancee and or going on long drives do happen during sunlight and doing that without a/c isn't a promising thought.

I am ready to purchase all the components I need, Compressor, acculmulator, evaporator and am not sure what else i need. The lines have been open for years and My A/c now that i remember wasn't blowing cold the last time i did drive the car before the rebuild.

I think I'm probably going to keep it actually. I don't like how the compartment looks with the a/c delete bracket. The compressor just kinda 'fits' in. Can anyone fill me in on exactly what i would need to make the A/C system work and perform like new ??

Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieL
Can anyone fill me in on exactly what i would need to make the A/C system work and perform like new ??
You already said you needed a Compressor.... Buy it at Autozone. Cost $306 (which includes the clutch).... All the other stuff should still be good.... All I would buy is a new rings set, MT-2541 from Autozone ($4).... I have the procedure to flush and ring if you need it....
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Well that and a reciever drier. I'd replace rather than remove for a couple of reasons. A. It's cheaper and easier than buying the stuff to get rid of it. B. If you ever want to sell the car, deduct $3000 or more from your price. C. It really doen't take any hp away unless it's working (on). (oops that's three!)
Old 08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the input. I will be looking for a compressor this week and an evaporator too since the line on mine is broken. What about the switch ? i hear about it but never cared to understand what it is or does. I believe its the plug that goes into the line out of the evap ? Does the a/c condensor get affected if the lines have been open for 4 years or so ?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

You might be able to get a kit to fix the evap line, the switch I think is the low pressure cycling switch, first one from firewall on the line. Condenser should be okay, but you need to evacuate the system. Others might suggest more, and I wouldn't disagree.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C compressor clutch problem !!!

Quick Reply: A/C compressor clutch problem !!!