C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What inline fuel pump to use on a TPI conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:15 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What inline fuel pump to use on a TPI conversion?

Converting a carb to a TPI, and thought it'd be easier to use an inline pump, as I have two gas tanks and a selector valve I'm pulling from. All the pumps I see in the catalog say not to use with fuel injection.

What GPH do I need for a stock TPI? 22#/hr x 8 = 176 #/hr = 30 GPH?

Would 55 do?

Then I need to figure out what size fuel lines to use. I'm thinking 5/16 supply and 1/4 return should work.

For the return lines I'll just use some type of double port valve so supply and return both switch over.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

a ''friend of a friend'' went thru the pump jungle a couple months ago, trying to use an in-line...he didn't want any of the $500 catalog ones, found something for $140 and he's now on his third pump--no total faiure but they start to sound like a 6-71...an in-tank looks like the better way,two in your case... you'd even have limited back-up.

oem fuel lines are 3/8 supply and 5/16 return...my local napa now sells nylon similar to oem on my lt1 roaddie and price savings to use smaller are minimal.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:18 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Yeah, but how to bubba together a dual tank system with intank pumps? That sounds like a hassle. I now need a 4 port valve and a switching system, and two pumps! Yes $500 is a lot, but so is two pump setups, and it'd take who knows what kinda custom work to put them in the existing tanks.

How are the fuel injected trucks with dual tanks done?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:27 PM
hip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a mallory or aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with return fuel line
Old 08-13-2006, 12:45 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=CentralCoaster]Yeah, but how to bubba together a dual tank system with intank pumps? That sounds like a hassle. I now need a 4 port valve and a switching system, and two pumps! Yes $500 is a lot, but so is two pump setups, and it'd take who knows what kinda custom work to put them in the existing tanks.
the fuel pump/gauge sender assy in a 94-96 B-body is a flanged, bolt-in arrangement, uses the same pump as a 92 vette lt1, and can be had from the j-y (locally) for $40, obviously you need two... cut a hole (abt 4'' IIRC) in the top of each tank, mod the height of the assy to match your tank (if nec)... tee the supply lines together (the pumps have integral check valves)...return line could use the elec diverter valve common on ford f-250 (ask your napa guy, was a $15 item altho its been a couple years since i bought one)--tie the tank vents together so that if the diverter valve fails, overflow will go to the secondary tank...one double pole on-off-on toggle switch will select tank and level sender at the same time (the diverter valve will only be power with one pump, it goes back to ''normal'' if no power)...maybe go big time and put in two new pumps @ $70 ea...if you mod the height of the assy, your gauge will read right at ''empty'' but higher readings will not be accurate.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Tank you!

I was looking for a pic of this diverter valve on rockauto, can't find it. or is this it?

http://198.208.187.182/servlet/com.e...cpartnbr=EP456

What's the difference between this and using a 3-port selector valve on the return?

Or, a single pump and a 6-port selector valve would work too.

These tanks may be difficult to work with, there's not much clearance above them for modification. And the 1st tank is under the passenger seat and pretty shallow.

It's going on a FJ40 land cruiser.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 08-13-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:04 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix-TTA_Pump_Kit.html

CC, try this link. It may give you some ideas. I think they are supporting vendors also.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:04 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Tank you!

What's the difference between this and using a 3-port selector valve on the return?

no diff, just terminology...can't figure out the AC valve in the link you noted, i know chev has dual tanks opt on 1-ton trucks, that may be it...napa valve is p/n CRB 22057, ''fuel tank selector valve'', it has (3)5/16'' ports...price shown $45 (old age-the mind is second to go)..i was looking on napa web, vehicle= 82 ferd f250 (if that matters)

i just checked a B-body pump/sender sleeping on my bench ...the piping/ elec will need 7/8'' above the top of the tank , the bottom of the pick-up is 9-3/4'' below the tank top, could be easily reduced by 2''...can e-mail you a pic if you want
Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

T-Rex Makes an inline pump that wil free flow 70 GPH and should work for your application.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Get notified of new replies

To What inline fuel pump to use on a TPI conversion?

Quick Reply: What inline fuel pump to use on a TPI conversion?