C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

water pump drive shaft seal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
93cruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default water pump drive shaft seal problem

Guys, need your help. I replaced my water pump and opti spark two months ago. The bad water pump had caused the drive shaft seal to leak. I replaced the opti and water pump seals thinking that this would stop my oil leaks. The oil leak came right back. I have taken the water pump and opti off again and the waterpump seal is leaking. The seal was not torn but it is plain to see that oil is coming from this location. What do I need to do to correct this problem.

93cruiser
Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I'm wondering if the slines on the drive coupler and/or the gear bearing may be worn causing excessive run-out. I have no experience w/ the stock water pump drive as the first time I removed this stuff I went with an EWP and a double-roller timing set. But it seems as though I've read about wear in the drive system causing seal failure.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:08 PM
93cruiser
Pro

splines are good. The shaft, coming out of the timing cover, has a lot play. I was told this is normal and the water pump would elimiant the play and force the shate and coupler to run true. I am not so sure now.

93cruiser
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run your finger over the coupling surface. If you feel the slightest drag or surface roughness, the coupling may be shot.

Larry
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM
93cruiser
Pro

I could not feel anything but I am going to replace it anyway. How much play is normal on the spline to spline fit? It seems possible that the bad water pump may have ruined the coupler. TThe FSM does not get in to detail about the condition of the coupler. Thanks for your reply.

93cruiser

Get notified of new replies

To water pump drive shaft seal problem

Quick Reply: water pump drive shaft seal problem