C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Chip changes on 1993 LT1 speed..whats the best one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 05:39 PM
dizwiz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip changes on 1993 LT1 speed..whats the best one?

I am considering a chip change. I want to make the engine run cooler, and if possible, see a HP gain.

I understand on the 1993 I have some type of advantage over the 94 and up C4 when it comes to chip changes.

What do you all recommend.....Will I see a power gain? Anyone have any dynos before and after a chip change?

Thanks
Dave
Old 09-08-2001, 09:39 AM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Chip changes on 1993 LT1 speed..whats the best one? (dizwiz)

If you buy an off the shelf chip, the gains will be in your mind only, especially if your engine is close to stock. Custom chips are the way to go and doing it your self is the best.
Old 09-08-2001, 10:22 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Chip changes on 1993 LT1 speed..whats the best one? (dizwiz)

I have a custom chip from Ed Wright, I bought it when I installed my hot cam, etc. I needed that to make the car run correctly and eleminate any false knock. It is programmed for a 160 stat and the fans come on at 185, now I have to sit in traffic for a long time before it ever crosses the 200 degree mark.

Horsepower gain? I gained 44 hp, but the cam and rockers had a lot more to do with that than the chip. On a stock motor don't expect much. Cooler temps are gonna be about all you will get. It cost me $350 for a custom chip tuned to my mods, you can get a much cheaper "off the shelf" chip that will do your fans, etc. There is some room for improvement in a stock motor, but it's hardly worth the cost involved in buying the equipment to make your own chip, unless of course you intend to modify the car and tune it regularly.

About your 93, it's still a speed density system, rather than mass air flow. Essentially you remove the restrictive MAF sensor, there are drawbacks to each system, but I believe the speed density systems tend to dyno a little higher and respond better to certain mods, up to a point. There comes a time on the horsepower scale that a speed density system can no longer keep up.

Get notified of new replies

To Chip changes on 1993 LT1 speed..whats the best one?

Quick Reply: Chip changes on 1993 LT1 speed..whats the best one?