C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

brake light in dashboard is on...why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 PM
bonbliss
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light in dashboard is on...why?

i have an 88 and the parking brake has never worked since i have had it and is very old and disconnected. is there any other reason that the light in the dashboard would go on besides the parking brake? would a problem with the normal brakes set it off? i do seem to be having some grinding sounds when i brake...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Fasterer
Instructor

Does is say parking brake?? Does the light come on while braking?? You shouldn't be driving that car till problem is solved.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bonbliss
i have an 88 and the parking brake has never worked since i have had it and is very old and disconnected. is there any other reason that the light in the dashboard would go on besides the parking brake? would a problem with the normal brakes set it off? i do seem to be having some grinding sounds when i brake...
Check to see if the park brake handle is up because there is no tension on the cable. The light should go out if you unplug the switch at the park brake.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
bonbliss
Heel & Toe

thank you so much for your responses...

the light stays on all the time now...it does not matter if i am using my regular brakes or not. and regarding the parking brake..can you tell me where i might find the switch to unplug it..???

thanks..
Old 08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
hill
Instructor

(i do seem to be having some grinding sounds when i brake...) i would check the brake fluid it is more than likely low the grinding sound is not a good thing the pads might be shot and if so the brake fluid will be low
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out the switch behind the cover over park brake. Mine shifted resulting in the brake light being on without the brake being applied.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Easy way to the parking brake ground signal wire is to remove the seat and the plastic cover.

It sounds more like a problem in your brake system. It means your front or rears have low hydraulic pressure. That light came on mine and a few days later the brake pedal went to the floor. That was a big scare. I overnighted a new master cylinder and put it in the next day. The pressure switch at the master cylinder can trip it. I think if you unplug that, the light would go out if that is in fact the problem.

Don't take that light lightly.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:25 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Sometimes this light will go on (at least in older GM cars/trucks) if the pressure in the brake lines between the front and rear were out of balance. This was cured by bleeding the brakes. Often the light went out as soon as you started to bleed the brake system. It takes two to handle this.....one to apply pressure and YELL when the light goes out. The other to open and close the bleeder valve.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
bonbliss
Heel & Toe

i thank all for your replies...

i messed with the e brake and the light went off...

thanks again...much appreciation...

Get notified of new replies

To brake light in dashboard is on...why?

Quick Reply: brake light in dashboard is on...why?