C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TV cable adjustment 1993 w/ASR

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:29 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default TV cable adjustment 1993 w/ASR

Okay, I have asked a few, but I think this is important for everyone who has the 700R4/4L60 non electronic Corvette with ASR.
Will someone be very specific in how, without a guage, you can adjust the TV cable to get you within a nats a** till you do get a guage to check the pressure.
Right now mine is set up where if you release the TV cable it slide all the way back towards the windhield. Thats where my transmission shop says it reads 80 psi. Transgo says the pressure will be 15-18lbs higher with there shift kit, and factory is 65-85 psi, depending on model transmission.
Mine shifts very hard, and on time in 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. No slipping etc. But, AS everyone knows, fluid pressure is VERY important here in our transmissions.
1993 Corvette with original TV cable, transmission has 12 miles on it, and wont be driven till I get the TV cable adjusted correctly, but if I can tfind a guage, I will have to do it by another method. FSM (TransGo says throw it away):

"1.Take the covers off the ASR
2.Look at the pulleys you will see a 1/8in hole and a hole that takes a 1/4 drive.
3.Put a 1/8 in drill bit into the hole and through the pulleys but not over the gear drive.
4.Flip the retainer clip on the TV cable
5.Turn the pulley(Which Way, towars radiator or windshield) ~1/8 turn and put a Torque wrench(set to 8nm/71inlbs) with a 1/4in extension into the square 1/4 drive hole.Torque to 8nm and clip the TV cable while holding the torque.There will be some clicking when you torque the pulleys."
Old 08-25-2006, 09:34 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

Old 08-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Okay, I have asked a few, but I think this is important for everyone who has the 700R4/4L60 non electronic Corvette with ASR.
Will someone be very specific in how, without a guage, you can adjust the TV cable to get you within a nats a** till you do get a guage to check the pressure.
Right now mine is set up where if you release the TV cable it slide all the way back towards the windhield. Thats where my transmission shop says it reads 80 psi. Transgo says the pressure will be 15-18lbs higher with there shift kit, and factory is 65-85 psi, depending on model transmission.
Mine shifts very hard, and on time in 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. No slipping etc. But, AS everyone knows, fluid pressure is VERY important here in our transmissions.
1993 Corvette with original TV cable, transmission has 12 miles on it, and wont be driven till I get the TV cable adjusted correctly, but if I can tfind a guage, I will have to do it by another method. FSM (TransGo says throw it away):

"1.Take the covers off the ASR

YES

2.Look at the pulleys you will see a 1/8in hole and a hole that takes a 1/4 drive.
3.Put a 1/8 in drill bit into the hole and through the pulleys but not over the gear drive.

CORRECT

4.Flip the retainer clip on the TV cable

ALSO EXTEND THE THROTTLE CABLES (BOTH) TO THE FULL EXTEND POSITION.. (ALL THREE SHOULD BE AT FULL EXTEND) DISCONNECT THE
CRUISE CONTROL CABLE FROM THE CRUISE CONTROL VACCUM DIAGPHRAM UNDER THE ECM

5.Turn the pulley(Which Way, RADIATOR) ~1/8 turn and put a Torque wrench(set to 8nm/71inlbs) with a 1/4in extension into the square 1/4 drive hole.Torque to 8nm and clip the TV cable while holding the torque.There will be some clicking when you torque the pulleys. SOMETIMES IT CLICKS SOMETIME IT DOSENT"

ENOUGH WITH THE CAPS LOCK. now that we are on new text..

the sure fire way to check to make sure all is oky-dokey after you do this procedure is to drop tranny pan and look at the pluger the tv cable level presses into the valve body and make sure the level the tv cable is hooked up to is slammed up against the valve body holding the plunger all the way in (important note: this should be the position it is in with the GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. Take the floor mat out of the car for this test to verify it is not keeping the pedal ffrom full travel..

I was told this verifies the conditions are good for full tv pressure..

BTW: which spacer plate did you end up using?
Old 08-26-2006, 01:46 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
ENOUGH WITH THE CAPS LOCK. now that we are on new text..

the sure fire way to check to make sure all is oky-dokey after you do this procedure is to drop tranny pan and look at the pluger the tv cable level presses into the valve body and make sure the level the tv cable is hooked up to is slammed up against the valve body holding the plunger all the way in (important note: this should be the position it is in with the GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. Take the floor mat out of the car for this test to verify it is not keeping the pedal ffrom full travel..

I was told this verifies the conditions are good for full tv pressure..

BTW: which spacer plate did you end up using?
You did the CAPS lock
I have seen the pics to show you with the pan off. I may do this. Its strange how it could be unlocked, the tab, and it isnt moving at all, and I have WOT too.
But, the tranny shop says it was at 80psi at idel, which is within specs, 65-85 factory and 15-18 plus with transgo shift kit.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

oh I know i did the caps.. it was so you could tell my typing from yours in the quote.. it was just starting to bug me..

make sure you are using the lock the correct way on the TV cable adjuster.. my little tab was missing so I had to use a c-clap to hold down the button..

EDIT"
BTW: I set mine first with the FSM method and then verified it at the valve body since I hadn't put the pan on yet.. and it was dead on...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:40 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

oh I know i did the caps.. it was so you could tell my typing from yours in the quote.. it was just starting to bug me..

make sure you are using the lock the correct way on the TV cable adjuster.. my little tab was missing so I had to use a c-clap to hold down the button..

EDIT"
BTW: I set mine first with the FSM method and then verified it at the valve body since I hadn't put the pan on yet.. and it was dead on...
So, you did it with the torque wrench and a drill bit?
I have that procedure, and am probably going to do it today, just need a small torque wrench. Right now with the cable all the way towards the windshield, it should be at a safe Higher pressure, correct?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:13 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I checked the pressure at idle, 950 rpms and it was at 100 psi. The FSM says between 65-85 psi depending on model. I do have a Trans Go shift kit, and they say add 15-18lbs to OEM.
I am thinking it needs to be lowered. I emailed Pete, but I want everyone to learn from this, and what to do. Hopefully I will know exactly what to do soon. Steve
Old 08-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

i've heard the factory specs for TV line pressure mean nothing after someone has modded the tranny.. I just did the FSM adjust procedure (torque wrench and 1/8 drill bit) and then checked it..
Old 08-27-2006, 12:10 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

i've heard the factory specs for TV line pressure mean nothing after someone has modded the tranny.. I just did the FSM adjust procedure (torque wrench and 1/8 drill bit) and then checked it..
Do you knoow your pressure now?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

nope... I suspect its way over factory specs since we did alot to keep it high (even at part throttle). I'm tired of eating 3-4 clutches.. this time I went soup to nuts with the internal;s.. this isnt a rebuilt tranny.. i consider it remanufactured.. everything is except the case.. my 1-2 shift is HARD (which is pretty easy to achive).. however, my 2-3 shift is jsut as hard at WOT but mild at anything else... (herein lies the real trickery).. I owe alot to Pete K and my buddy who are both tranny guru's!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:20 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

nope... I suspect its way over factory specs since we did alot to keep it high (even at part throttle). I'm tired of eating 3-4 clutches.. this time I went soup to nuts with the internal;s.. this isnt a rebuilt tranny.. i consider it remanufactured.. everything is except the case.. my 1-2 shift is HARD (which is pretty easy to achive).. however, my 2-3 shift is jsut as hard at WOT but mild at anything else... (herein lies the real trickery).. I owe alot to Pete K and my buddy who are both tranny guru's!
Well I did some looking and found what my model 700R4 was at the factory settings. 65-75 idle, and 196-235 at full TV !! as it is a model YCM, on my build sheet. There are quite a few numbers within our transmissions. Idle is fairly consistent, but full TV is from 130 -245 psi, thats quite a range.
Right now it is set at 80 psi, using my Compression tester which Craftsman says can be used wet/dry. I may bump it back to 90 psi, as it was at 210 at full TV. So doing the math I am going to go a little high, rather than low.
How hard are your upshifts as well as downshifts.
Steve
Another forum, but lots of data about line pressure
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114376

Last edited by steve40th; 08-27-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, Im not so certain my TV is set properly. After my new tranny went in my 1-2 upshift is like getting kicked in your back from a Mule ( even at part throttle). Tranny shop which is out of town says I need to have the tv adjusted. (Easier said then done) Took it to GM and the results did not change and the mechanic said even a slight adjustment would normally make a big difference which it did not in my case. I wonder if mine could be not seated right in the tranny pan. Ive been driving it like this over a year now and have just accepted the fact at 1-2 I must brace my neck. Or maybe thats the way my tranny just is. I cant afford to tinker with the tranny anymore.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:28 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something i've been trying to figure out for ages.

Steve,

Who did the Trans Garbage install? Were any modifications to the kit required? I had to cut down the one of the check valves because it would get stuck and the car wouldn't shift out of first.

You say the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are firm. Is this when you let trans shift itself or when you manually shift it?

Dave
Old 08-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
:You say the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are firm. Is this when you let trans shift itself or when you manually shift it?

Dave

shifts itself.. however, we played with alot of things which make it far from the orig. tranny..
Old 08-27-2006, 03:23 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
Something i've been trying to figure out for ages.

Steve,

Who did the Trans Garbage install? Were any modifications to the kit required? I had to cut down the one of the check valves because it would get stuck and the car wouldn't shift out of first.

You say the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are firm. Is this when you let trans shift itself or when you manually shift it?

Dave
Dave the shop did the install, as well as the rebuild. I am no expert by any means, Pete K is the one to talk to about all the things regarding this tranny. The Vette shifts very firm, and downshifts very firm, on its own. I drove it to the highway and home after the rebuild Friday, 12 miles. I kept it in OD on the highway and Drive up to the point where I was getting on the highway. When I slowed down it slaps firmly while downshifting. I havent manually shifted it yet.
The 93 does need modifications to the shift kit, as our trannys are year specific.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:26 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by bobmic93
Steve, Im not so certain my TV is set properly. After my new tranny went in my 1-2 upshift is like getting kicked in your back from a Mule ( even at part throttle). Tranny shop which is out of town says I need to have the tv adjusted. (Easier said then done) Took it to GM and the results did not change and the mechanic said even a slight adjustment would normally make a big difference which it did not in my case. I wonder if mine could be not seated right in the tranny pan. Ive been driving it like this over a year now and have just accepted the fact at 1-2 I must brace my neck. Or maybe thats the way my tranny just is. I cant afford to tinker with the tranny anymore.
Due to the cost and downtime of these trannys, I would only take it back to the shop that did it, so there is no liability. Mine is out of warranty, and the shop rebuilt it for parts only, which was less than half the cost out here for transmission overhauls, stock overhauls. Mine was built with extra hardware I requested to keep her alive. We shall see, as it went 8kmiles before and it was a softer shift than now.

Get notified of new replies

To TV cable adjustment 1993 w/ASR

Quick Reply: TV cable adjustment 1993 w/ASR