C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Vette (many mods). What Ignition Module are you running, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 09:12 PM
UDLUV12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Vette (many mods). What Ignition Module are you running, and why?

Hey Guys,
First of all, my heart is with all those families who lost loved ones in today's tragedy. God Bless them all.
A week ago I wrote you for some advise. Since then, the distributor has been removed, and is now in the hands of a mechanic who has Sun equipment to rework distributors, etc., etc..
Today we had conversation, and he informed me that the ignition module in the distributor is the 'stock' module from '86. (he owns an '86 all original with 14K on the OD...and compared the two).
He is suggesting that now is the time to replace this module with a new one.

My question is: I have many mods to the engine (355 c.i. [over .030] w/ 3:75 gears, and 4+3 tranny. TPIS ZZ9 cam, TPIS coated headers, and their Prom V chip. In addition, I'm presently running Trick Flow heads, with Comp Cams roller rockers...and I'm hoping you have had some exciting results using various Ignition Modules, and wouldn't mind sharing this information. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2001, 07:05 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 86 Vette (many mods). What Ignition Module are you running, and why? (UDLUV12)

There was a thread in the Engine Mods section a while back that said the stock GM module was pretty hard to beat up to, gee don't remember, but way more than an L98 would be reving. Said the best replacement for tired HEI components are new stock GM ones. That's the direction I'm going.

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2001, 01:13 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 86 Vette (mash557)

I still have my stock ignition module but have upgraded the top to HyperTech coil/cap/rotor (along with TPIS wires and cut-back plugs) to assure proper combustion at high RPM.

My recent dyno curves show that I should be shifting about 5,400RPM and future mods will likely push that number higher. Our stock HEI has been known to not perform well above 5k RPM, at least partly due to coil performance. Plus the HyperTech system puts out 40% more voltage which allows me to open up the plug gap to .045" from the stock .035".

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Vette (many mods). What Ignition Module are you running, and why?

Quick Reply: 86 Vette (many mods). What Ignition Module are you running, and why?