C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turbo 383...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turbo 383...

Hey i have a 383 i just put in my 86 vette (long story kinda) with about 600 miles on it. ( the engine that is... lol )
details are

Forged eagle crank, Forged eagle H-beam 6.0 inch rods, .030 over forged SRP pistons (9.5 cr), Dart iron eagle 215 cc heads (72cc combustion chamber.... i think..) Comp Cams hydralic roller cam
.566"/.577" lift (with 1.6 rockers) 224/230 duration @ .050 114 LSA,
Miniram intake, 58mm TB, and 42 lb/hr injectors... its the stock 2 bolt block with the stock 2 bolt caps, although i do have ARP main studs and arp head studs in it.

Im very interested in the turbosynergy turbo kit for the c4 corvette... Im just not sure about adding alot of boost to a 2 bolt gm block...
What size turbo should i get with the kit? the 67mm should do what i want im thinking... but later on when i get out of college and get a job i plan on building a 400+ci turbo motor out of a dart block or something... so i was thinking just going ahead and getting the 76mm option... even tho it is probably bigger than i need for my application... would i notice much "turbo lag" with this turbo on my current motor? also im toying with the idea of swapping to a turbo spec cam and afr heads with a larger combustion camber.... any suggestions on a cam? all im after is horsepower... and reliablity because i will be driving it about 80ish miles a day... (im not to concered about gas milage or anything like that.... How much boost could i run with 93 octane and this stock block and a 9.5 cr??? also, are my current injectors good? i know they are way larger than i need for my current n/a motor. what about a fuel pump? i would like to keep my stock engine management and MAF system if i could? im sure ill have more questions but this should get me started for now

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

67 is too small for your engine.. let me re emphasize.. the 67 is WAY too small for your 383.. you need to be looking at least at a 76mm turbo and maybe even leaning more towards an 80-88mm unit. you shouldn't have to be too concerned abou spool with the added cubes so remember buying turbos isn't cheap.. better to spend a little more initially then buy the wrong one and loose you shorts upgrading right away. I would say grab one of the new turbonetics TC76MPS turbos from forcedinductions.com, they are small packaged so should fit the same location as the 67mm unit.

on 9.5 to one compression and an upgraded fuel system and good tune I would say 12-14psi on pump gas max and you should see some very nice results from that..mid to high 600rwhp range. be forwarned.. the turbo kits is only the beginnign of what must be upgraded for that kind of power.. fuel is essential and so is tuning capability. and for this level, a FMU isn't going to cut it.

have fun with it!

Chris
Old 09-17-2006, 08:24 PM
vettenut5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey vettemannc486 ! Nice one ! how d'you like the 383 ? One thing - there's never enough power !
Send some pixs of your vette !
Old 09-17-2006, 11:29 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Im kinda woried about my stock block, its still using the stock 2 bolt caps, although i have arp main studs in it. also, i dont remember what my ring gaps where from filing the rings.
ill try to find that out soon.
What would i ahve to do to the fuel system? i know ima get a new fuel pump.... i have 42lb injectors now, is that enough? can i still keep my stock engine managment, i know ill have to get it tuned or w/e...
what kinda heads should i get? afr?
how about a cam? will my current cam make decent power with the turbo?
.566"/.577" lift (with 1.6 rockers) 224/230 duration @ .050 114 LSA
Im currently having my transmission (700r4) being built, it is supposed to have top of the line everything in it. im affraid at the powerlevels that im looking at with a turbo that a 700r4 might not get the job done... any thoughts?

ill post some pics of my car tomorrow, although i only have a couple... and my car is at the transmission shop...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the two bolt block is stronger then most give it credit for. if the car is already together I would say it should be safe tohandle 550-650rwhp in small doses.. as for fuel, the 42 lb'ers aren't gonna get ya too far up.. fuel pump and boostapump and some 60-75lb rc engineering injectors will go far.

Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM
86VX1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the block should be the least of your worries, like the lcvette said, in small doses the two bolt will be o.k. I would definately worry about the 700r4 and the dana 36. they are barely capable of handling a mild stroker with repeated abuse. add a turbo to that combo and you can expect a lot of broken parts. if a turbo is in your future, i would first start upgrading everything else in anticipation of the turbo, like the tranny and maybe upgrading to a dana44.

by the mods the you listed, is it safe to assume that you like to put your foot in it, right? if you are the occasional person that likes to floor it once in a blue moon, your 700r4 will last you a little longer than most.
however, if you are the type of guy that likes to be the first one out of a stop light or if you like to see your tach light come on all the time, then you can expect to rebuild your 700r4 on a regular basis.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

heh i turned 18 today if that tells you anything about my driving.

i have a dana 44 with like 30k miles on it sitting waiting for me to get it back from the tranny shop so i can put it in. My stock 700r4 died with like 500 miles on it and i only DEMOLISHED the tires once and only floored it a couple times... ( engine break in... so hard to behave breaking it in.... )
So really i couldnt build a 700r4 to last a good while? I dont really see spending 1500-2000 every year or two to rebuild it. I also dont see paying what built 4l80Es cost and the added weight of it. a TH400 isnt really an option cause im gonna be driving the car 80 miles a day to college. I dont really drive fast or floor it or nething untill someone pisses me off, like when people cut me off and people drive like morons (almost everyone in my state does.) i get PISSED and blow their doors off. i have road rage

Ne ways... would my MAF system still be good? Would i need to pay extra for a good blow off valve? (the kit comes with a bosch but the other ones are a couple hundred bucks more) i dont really care how the BOV sounds, i just want functionality.

Sry for all the questions

Last edited by VeTTeMaNC486; 09-18-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo 383...

Quick Reply: Turbo 383...