C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (front spoiler and ASR)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 05:57 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (front spoiler and ASR)

I just bought a new house, and the driveway is hell... seriously.
It is VERY steep. So, as not to hurt my vette, I test-drove a dealers vette and took it to the new house to see if it could make the driveway :D

Anyways... the rear end cleared beautifully, but 2 things bothered me.

1- The front plastic (I am guessing type of spoiler) On the bottom scraped. What is the purpose of this? I know in 82 (my old vette), it helped keep the engine cool. What is the purpose of the front thing, and is there a smaller one to replace it with, or can I take it off??? (what will happen if I take it off?)

2- The tires were big-time screwin up. I have a 92 (auto.), and this was a 96 (manual). But I am 99.99% sure it was the ASR. How easy is it to disable the ASR, can I do it myself, does it cost money, what are the steps? And do I REALLY need it?

Thanks for anyone who replys,
Andy
Old 09-13-2001, 06:55 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (Andy1983)

the spoiler has the same perpose on the 92 as it does on the 82. It helps direct air into the radiator. it is a rather disposable part. once it gets all tore up, replace it.

The ASR is disabled by pressing the button on the dash... it is a temporary disable, have to do it every time. however, the reason it is acting funny is more than likely the rear tires are shot. Once they wear down to far, the tires get slick. The ASR is on almost all the time. I would not get rid of the ASR, tho. There is just tooo much torque to contend with.

Old 09-13-2001, 06:57 PM
thedevl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the spoiler on the front, but I think it is critical to the cooling. As to the ASR, on the 96, there is a button on the left that turns it off. Doesn,t the 92 have the same thing?

THEDEVL :reddevil
Old 09-13-2001, 07:00 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The front spoilers are there for one purpose only, to deflect air into the radiator. Without them, your car (a) may overheat and (b) will look odd.

Around town at slow speed, I doubt they have much effect but on the road may be a different story. Rather than remove them entirely, I would take them off and trim them down a little, perhaps 1/2" off the bottom. A pair of tin snips should work nicely then use some sandpaper to smooth the cut edges and replicate the original contour. If you are careful, it should be unnoticeable and you might avoid your scraping problem. Either this, or move to another house! ;)

I don't know what you mean by "tires were big-time screwin up." What makes you sure the ASR is at fault? You can turn the ASR off by using the push button to the left of the steering wheel, although I don't recommend that on the street for safety purposes. If you are really intent, you can have your PCM reprogrammed to have the ASR *OFF* by default, so that hitting the switch would turn it ON. But again, not recommended.

Old 09-13-2001, 07:15 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (gs633)

We got a great deal on the house.... 4,000 square feet for $300k (my parents got it). We got it because of the driveway, and untill we re-lay the driveway, I guess I will just have to scrape the side... it is good to know that each piece is only 20 bucks (will only scratch the right side).

However, when I said tires were screwin up, I said it because it felt as if the brakes were being put on, and it was almost impossible to get up the hill... mountain I am sure it was the ASR...I need to go get another dealer's car... tear it up a little more, and try it w/o the ASR.
I would only turn it off going down the mountain, and going up the mountain.

Thanks to everyone for their help,
Andy
Old 09-13-2001, 08:56 PM
MCPOWHITE96
Drifting

Default Re: I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (gs633)

I have had my front spoiler off for over a year with absolutely no overheating.
Dont think it looks odd.....actually, I rather preferred the look of mine without it.

[Modified by MCPOWHITE96, 4:57 PM 9/13/2001]
Old 09-13-2001, 08:57 PM
MCPOWHITE96
Drifting

Default Re: I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (MCPOWHITE96)

OK, guess that isnt the best angle is it??? :bb
Old 09-13-2001, 11:15 PM
Don Martin
Drifting

Default Re: I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (MCPOWHITE96)

You can also back up the driveway. Just trim it a little as suggested.

Was the driveway wet or sandy? I don't think you will have a problem with the 92 and a auto tranny climbing that hill, if you do turn the asr off for that task.

Get notified of new replies

To I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (front spoiler and ASR)

Quick Reply: I have 2 very important questions about a 92-96 vette's (front spoiler and ASR)