C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Hatch Will Not Open

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:33 PM
BlueMonster94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Will Not Open

I have a 1994 Coupe. The rear hatch won't open even after replacing the relay and the solenoid, which I installed the same way the old one came out. When I push either the PKE, console or door hatch release button, I can hear the solenoid activating. The sound is loud and proud but the hatch won't open. Got milk? Uh, suggestions?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Try VERY CAREFULLY, lifting the hatch. The glass can stick to the hatch seal to the point the lift cylinders,especially if old, can't make the lift. If you hear the solenoid retract the latch should be clear so the hatch can open.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:41 PM
BlueMonster94
Instructor

Tried doing that carefully with a long screw driver between the glass and weatherstrip. Nothing budged. And I chose not to force the issue.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double check the wire on the solenoid. Mine did this for a while where I could hear a "click" but it was the relay not the solenoid. I found the wire to the solenoid was loose. I crimped on a new connector and the problem went away.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look carefully between the hatch shade retracted and the carpet below it you aill find a short piece of stainless steel whire pigtail. Grab this with a pliers and pull and the hatch should release. You should then be able to take off the trim that covers the lock and test the selenoid itself. The clicking sound is probably the relay for the lock that is under there.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
BlueMonster94
Instructor

The relay has been replaced.
The solenoid has been replaced. Before reinstalling it, I checked to see if it activated upon pressing one of the release buttons. It does. After I installed the solenoid, I could not open the hatch with the solenoid activating or with the manual release (using pliers).

I sense that the solenoid release mechanism is not engaging with the hatch latch; therefore, my quest is now opening the hatch another way. Otherwise I'll leave it as is. I must remember that my Vette is not my Dad's 1984 Chevy station wagon.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default hatch

I have an 86 that happened to on the 4th of july (that's how i remembered it)
well I pulled the stainless wire, and popped the hatch, got a new solenoid, and 3 months later, it happened again.
This time, I went to the corvette junk yard and got one out of an 89, and it's still working.
since the chevy dealer wouldnt exchange it, I tore it apart
There's a slider link that if it isn't aligned just right, stick, and no solenoid will pull it open
get yours open, and try some grease and creative hammering
Old 09-29-2006, 06:56 PM
BlueMonster94
Instructor

Default getting it open

How do I get the hatch open if pulling on the metal cord with pliers doesn't work?
Keep in mind that the relay and solenoid are working, but I think that coupeguy2001 hit on something about a misaligned slider link.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Get somebody to push down on the glass while you pull the wire. If there is an misalignment or other adjustment problem, that may freee up a binding condition.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Get somebody to push down on the glass while you pull the wire. If there is an misalignment or other adjustment problem, that may freee up a binding condition.
That's a good idea since sometimes there's too much upward pressure for something that may not be aligned properly to pop up. I've done this on another car's hood.

The other method might include a variation of the above. While someone is activating the release, jiggle around with the screwdriver very carefully (as you have been doing), then alternating pushing down on the glass right at the latch point, as well as having someone pull on the cord. Also, see if you can wiggle the whole hatch glass a little bit, maybe using both hands. Again, this has worked on hoods on other cars if things are just a little out of line or need some very gentle persuasion.

No question the glass hatch is different than a good strong steel hood. Hope something works.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

I have the same problem. I fished out the small stainless steel wire and attached a long wire to it. Every time I want to open the hatch, I pull the wire and she opens right up.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Will Not Open

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Will Not Open