C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shift Cable Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Cable Adjustment

I replaced my shift cable last night and am having some trouble with the adjustments. My reasoning for replacing the cable was the old one broke yesterday.

The cable pulls through the gears fine (ie. P to 1). However, when I try to go back to park, it seems as if a spring or something is missing to keep tension on the cable. The cable is installed just as the old came off, or so I think.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 AM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a mechanism that connects to the ignition lock to prevent starting in gear and also allows you to remove the key in park. You must have gotten that back in wrong. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details . The Helms factory service manual has a very good diagram and description of how it all goes together. I wouldn't even begin to work on my car without it, especially something in the console area. I don't mean to preach but some of that stuff you either need to have done it before or have the manual because it "aint that apparent " how it goes together. I wish I could be of more help!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

Do you remember where exactly in the FSM the directions are?

I have the FSM and looked in it last night. The more and more I look at it, the more and more I hate the thing, because I can never find what I'm looking for.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try losening the bolt on the shift lever on the trans and slide it foward.That should get you into park.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

I'm at a loss.

I followed the instructions in the FSM to a T, multiple times, and its still not working properly. I even tried a couple of other things that I came up with, and that didn't work either.

Again, my problem is this. I go through the directions in the FSM, and now the tranny is set for park. I can pull the gear selector on the console back to the gear of my choice fine. But, when I go to go back to park or say reverse, the lever on the transmission doesn't move. It's as if the cable loosens up and doesn't do its job. The shifter inside the car moves, but the lever on the transmission that changes gears doesn't. I can move the lever on the tranny easily by hand.

Could I be missing a spring or something?

Last edited by Corvette Chris; 10-05-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

The rod/sleeve on the transmission end of the cable seems to have been the problem. Just ordered a GM shift cable and it should be here Tuesday, guess that's what I get for trying to save a couple bucks with a NAPA one.

Get notified of new replies

To Shift Cable Adjustment

Quick Reply: Shift Cable Adjustment