C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MSD OptiSpark with Accel/DFI computer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Masterspykiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MSD OptiSpark with Accel/DFI computer

We have a 92 LT1 heavily modified. We use an Accel/DFI computer for engine control.

Apparently the screws inside the OEM distributor backed out, shorted and destroyed the distributor during a track day last weekend. We also noticed the wiring harness was cut and rewired in a funky way (it looks like hi-res and lo-res wires were switched). However it was wired, it worked before it self-destructed.

We bought MSD's distributor to ensure hi-performance and consistency with the rest of the MSD ignition system. Unfortunately, the new MSD pro billet distributor will only give one or two sparks then stop. We've tried THREE MSD distributors, so I don't think we got a DOA product from MSD.

When we put an OEM distributor back in, it works fine. MSD tech support had no suggestions, other than saying, it might not work with the Accel/DFI system. I am loathe to use the OEM optispark again.

HAS ANYONE RUN ACROSS THIS SITUATION OR HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?? All thoughts gratefully received.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have 3 options

1) converting to dual sync distri
2) Delteq system
3) Crank trigger with multi coil pack. Baldturbofreak is running a neat crank trigger set up on his turbocharged 383ci LT1 and mega squirt (stand alone system)

I run Delteq with my DFI Gen 7
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

/bruce383/b10016.jpg
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Masterspykiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, there is a problem with the MSD updated Optispark and the Accel/DFI. Hmm. Thanks so much for the info, I'll look into the Delteq system.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my suggestion is to return the MSD opti, order the dual synch distributor from DFI/Accel, I run it and am absolutely phenominally satisfied with it! it makes your DFI true sequential for better starting, cleaner idling and much easier tuneability and servicing of plug wires, cap and rotor and all that jazz! alot cheaper then the MSD opti as well, and all your MSD cdi box and coil upgrades work just fine. you also will be eliminating the ignition controle module which is another fail prone ignition component and replacing it with the MSD6, 6A, or 7, whichever you have now to fire the coil.. very simple and still 100% controlled by the DFI gen 7 computer for all your timing curves. no weights or other bullcrap to deal with..

just send off your intake to www.lt1intake.com and he charges 100 bucks to put the hole in the back of the manifold, remove the oil pump drive plug and install the dizzy and wire it directly in... plug and play!

Chris
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Someone refresh my memory but can the Gen 7 dfi use a 60-2 wheel and Vr sensor?
I bought my crank wheel from a company in florida for like 50 bucks. the VR sensor is from autozone for a 2000 3.8L mustang. It was like 20 bucks. But I do have a ATI Damper that has holes waiting for a trigger wheel. Then you can either use the opti for a dummy or go wasted spark If DFI supports it. I like 99 dodge neon coils they have hei style terminals and mount easy.
Just another possibility.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD OptiSpark with Accel/DFI computer

Quick Reply: MSD OptiSpark with Accel/DFI computer