C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 idle speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
1972 LT-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 idle speed problem

My '92 LT1 has an issue with idle speed and I need some opinions on how to proceed from where I am. The car had three distinct idle speeds, 1200rpm, 750rpm and 450rpm, all with trans in park. After talking to some local "gurus" It was suggested I clean the IAC pintle valve and seat, and clean the throttle body. I cleaned everthing up, and ended up replacing the IAC. I have only run the car for a short time, but it now only idles at the higher speed (around 1200-1300rpm in park, obviously too high). Does the computer have a "learn" function? (my Lumina has that function) or should I look for something else? I've been all over the engine, and am sure there are no vacuum leaks, with the old IAC, during the times it idled at 750rpm in park, it would idle about 550rpm in drive and ran so smoothly you could barely tell it was running..that makes me feel like there wouldn't be a vacuum leak. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If you've cleaned the TB and IAC motor, I'd suggest looking for vacuum leaks.

You can take it to a shop that has a "smoke machine" that puffs smoke over the engine and determines leaking locations.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, but these are usually associated with the idle surging. When you installed the IAC did you make sure the pintle was no further that 1 1/8" from the flange and did you make sure you checked the connection as well? It would help to verify this with a scan tool.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, but these are usually associated with the idle surging. When you installed the IAC did you make sure the pintle was no further that 1 1/8" from the flange and did you make sure you checked the connection as well? It would help to verify this with a scan tool.

You MUST adjust the new IAC valve before installing it per the FSM
Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

With this kind of problem (with all my cars) after I cleaned it and made no progress, I just like to replace the IAC motor. They sometimes just go bad and you can spend much time messing around and until you change it you will never know. I have never had much luck cleaning them and having the fix last, I like new ones.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
1972 LT-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies! I did adjust the pintel length of the new valve to the specified length of 1.125" when I cleaned everything. After telling an experienced GM tech what was going on, he asked me if the car had been driven for a while with the bad IAC unit in it. I said yes, as far as I know. He then told me I needed to disconnect the battery for a short period of time to allow the copmputer to clear itself (I had forgotten that I had to do the same thing to my Lumina when it was having some sensors replaced). After pulling the negative cable off for a couple of minutes, put it back on and the car is doing just fine...have driven about 50 miles so far, and it is idling just where it should be. I am one happy camper right now, hope it keeps it up!

Thanks again,

JB
Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 idle speed problem

Quick Reply: 1992 idle speed problem