C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transgo Shift kit...shifts to hard.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
96lt4c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo Shift kit...shifts to hard.

After installing a Transgo shift kit it shifts way to hard into 2nd. I have already put the stock 1-2 accumulator spring back in and it is still way to hard. I am on my second separator plate, which I didn't drill the holes out as big as the first one. So, I bought another Transgo plate. The instructions say for v6 and v8 to drill the second feed hole to .065-.070. I think the plate I have in there now is drilled to .075. The shift kit calls for .083 and .093 for full race. I think I am going to stay closer to .065.

I also have an after market billet servo which makes a firmer 1-2 shift.

I know. My vette is a 6 speed......this is not in my vette.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:17 PM
vetteboy95
Instructor

As long as your on the subject of shif kits. A couple of years ago I came across this thing. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I thought why not, for the price (at the time $80). After installing it (1/2 hr) it turned out to be a great value. It really does work like they say. But now at half the price, well worth it. It won't provide the the kind of shifts a shift kit can, but still quicker and firmer than stock. I've gotten the tires to chirp once in a while. And if you don't want the kick you can turn it off. Great for the 4L60E cars.

Just a little info. Hope you figure out where you want to be with the kit without too much more work.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

They make lighter springs than the stock green spring. You can try a different color. I will go out to the garage and squeeze a few to let you know what color is what. Also, did you put a .500 boost valve in the pump?. If so, step it down to a .471.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:24 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong but I thought that the shift firmess is controlled by the amount of washers you put in the (no idea what it is called - PeteK help). Transgo gives you 3 and they say that 1 will be firmer than stock, 2 is firmer and 3 is firmest.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave is refering to the servo pin setting. Transgo has you add washers till the band binds and them remove 1 .030 washer. Basically, they want you to adjust it by feel. This is tough to do for a 1st timer. I set them with .060-.090 end play on the outer servo cover.
Although the band being too tight will result in a harsh shift, it will not be harsh for long. The band and drum will burn up. I hope that the servo pin adjustment is not your problem.
The following users liked this post:
Street89vette (05-24-2017)
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 AM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96lt4c4 - did you get the 1-2 firmness the way you wanted? I'd be interested in knowing what combination of things you did in the end or what made the difference (to make it firm without being harsh).

Also, did you set it up for manual operation with the lever in 1,2, or 3, with automatic operation in Drive?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-01-2007, 08:56 AM
PBA
Advanced

Which year are you working on? Which TransGo Shift kit did you get The accumulator (which one, identified by the letter on the aluminum bushing)?, accumulator spring (how stiff or weak)?, and the 2nd gear accumulator must have the right spring arrangement to get the 1-2 part throttle shifts smooth, while having firm WOT shifts. I specialize in this, and would stick with the Corvette servo. Once the accumulation is "matched", the Corvette servo will be more than enough, and is much easier to tune than the billet servo. You only need the 1-2 WOT shift so firm, otherwise it is very hard on the gear train, and accomplishes nothing in terms of performance or reliability.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:22 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I assume you are talking about part throttle shifts, in which case you can get a little relief by backing off on the TV cable.

This is normally not a good idea with a stock a4 as it causes weak shifts but think it would be safe with a shift kit that beefs up the shift speed anyway.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
PBA
Advanced

Do not use the TV cable adjustmemt to soften your shifts. This lowers the line pressure to the clutches/band on WOT, and can do damage. The TV cable should never be backed off more then a click or two. If you need to soften the firmness of the 1-2 part throttle shifts, you will need to know which 2nd gear accumulator you have in the valve body (it is identified by a letter on the aluminum bushing), the spring that is used on this valve, what spring or spring arrangement you have on the 1-2 accumulator, the size & stall of the torque converter, rear end gear ratio, and the size of the 2nd gear feed hole in the separator plate. This can be setup to offer very smooth part throttle shifts. This is more than you probably wanted to know/hear, but this is the way to do it right.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete K and PBA in the same post.
We can't ask better people regarding 700R4...
-Beppe-

Get notified of new replies

To Transgo Shift kit...shifts to hard.

Quick Reply: Transgo Shift kit...shifts to hard.