C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Repair Tech Article.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by ZR1OUS
help,I just spent2 hours doing the above but I cant get a reading with my meter. I have continuity in the wire(purple) from the connector to the winding connection but when I do as instructed i do not get a reading when I move the float. I even hooked it up to the car and put the key on but no dice..What can be wrong?
I dont want to leave tape over the fuel tank overnight and the door closed. Kevin
No continuity = an open. The only way to check for an open in the windings is to open up the sending unit itself and check from the connector to various points on the winding. You may also have an open at the point where the purple wire attaches (rivets) to the sender itself and your not even getting to the windings. It's just a process of elimination---start where you have known good continuity and keep working down the line until you lose it...that will be your point of failure.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:03 AM
lovmy90vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 1990 fuel gauge show full right up to the point where it is almost empty. I read the article on replacing the sending unit and was all ready to replace the parts myself. I stopped by a mechanic's shop that I trust and we took the fuel filler door off and there was no gas cap and rubber boot. Got any suggestions for me other than dropping the tank?

Last edited by lovmy90vette; 08-31-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default fuel gauge

Frizlefak you have wrong information in your post concerning using foot pounds to tighten the cover bolts. Inch pounds, not foot pounds are used to tighten the bolts. I don't have my service manual handy to look up the inch pounds for the bolts, but it is less than 20 inch pounds. The fuel tank cover gasket GM #10140598 cost me $7.19 at the Chevrolet parts counter on 7/14/2006. Bought another one 10/14/2014 and the cost was $24.57 a big increase for just a gasket.

Last edited by 70ZZ3 96LT4; 08-31-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:28 PM
bowtieman55
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys think the windings and contact look okay?

Also, this seems a little sketchy...

Last edited by bowtieman55; 02-12-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:38 PM
BlackPearl1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worked on my 1990

Just wanted to log on here and pass along a big thank you for this tech article. I did this yesterday on my 90 and every step followed along perfectly. My issue was that the fuel gauge would read accurately (or so it seemed) until it got down to about a half tank or slightly below and then the gauge wouldn't drop any further. I found out the hard way on two occasions that I had an issue because I ran out of gas. It has a full tank now and the gauge is reading full, so I won't really know until I drive it a while and observe the gauge dropping below a quarter tank and lower to see if the issue is really fixed, but I'm hopeful.

I'm still amazed that exposed wires submerged in a tank of gasoline doesn't ignite, but I guess that's an aspect of chemistry that I don't understand that well. I had to Google it a few times before I felt comfortable submersing the assembly again and connecting power. I half expected the car to explode when I turned on the ignition, but I'm here writing so ....

Anyway, I was planning to buy a new fuel sending unit and lay out nearly $150-$200 so for the cost of a $13 gasket I'm back in business and saved a lot of money.

Only question I have now is that in reading the article, I did torque the bolts to about 20 ft-lbs and then afterward read on here that that's too much torque. Should I loosen them and tighten again to a lesser torque?
Old 08-18-2019, 02:17 PM
AUTO90VETTE
Instructor

So I decided to tackle my fuel gauge sending unit always showing empty. I followed a great write up on it by Frizelfrack. I wanted to add something to his write up. After cleaning to potentiometer winding and contact I put it back together and hooked it up to the connector at the tank to check its function on the dash. (Fuel pump fuse is out by the way). It worked better but was only showing every quarter tank difference. Nothing in between. I wish I would have taken pics but the contact arm is connected underneath the pivot point where it makes two contact points to send the signal to the wire for the dash gauge. My sending unit was put together with plastic type rivets and I was not brave enough to try pry it apart. I instead cleaned with carb cleaner in that area where is pivots underneath and rotated generously. Hooked it up again and it works like brand new. You can test it’s function but using your ohm meter between the black and purple wires. I believe 90ohms was full and zero was empty. Couldn’t be happier. An easy fix if you just take your time and do it right. I was also able to reuse the old tank gasket, just have to be careful with it. If your gauge is broke fix it. You can do it! Just use the awesome tech write up and clean,clean, clean!
Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM
dauntless10
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the link in this article is no longer active,,,is there any way to get the entire article with photos??? thanks...live a great day...
The following users liked this post:
Dave1959 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 AM
Dave1959
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Scroll up there is a PDF. Like this post if this helped, and like the PDF post, too!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave1959:
Rich B. (09-09-2021), SloJo (03-23-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave1959
Scroll up there is a PDF. Like this post if this helped, and like the PDF post, too!
Excellent article and great .PDF! (Original post pics have disappeared so .PDF was most appreciated!).

Thanks all!

I'll be doing the pump replacement this weekend. The gauge hasn't worked in 15+ years, so I'll give it a try too! Right now, I measure fuel with a three foot dowel...
Old 01-01-2024, 08:33 PM
Wandern
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way you can send this to me with the pictures included? I do not know if its on my end but all of the pictures are no longer there. If not no worries just want to make sure I do everything correctly. Thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Repair Tech Article.