C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

need help with door ajar switch & lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help with door ajar switch & lights staying on

Where is the door ajar switch on a '91? Is it mechanical or electrical. Washed my car today and pulled it in and the interior lights wouldn't go off. Started it and door ajar light comes on and lights stay on. If I slam driver door will stay off a half a second and come back on. Is it possible something got wet if electrical and should I look for a switch? Anyway to make sure which door or is it something that combines both doors and just shorting out? Thanks for any help.

Looks like it is the passenger side door, the lights went out after about 20 minutes on the delay, security light still flashing, opened left door, no lights, shut it and security light went out, opened passenger door and lights came on and stay on when shut, what should i look for to fix or replace on the door?

Last edited by dbriana; 12-31-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:32 PM
5pinball
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its on front door jam, 1 on each side. try spraying them with lubricant
Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the '91 is the same as the '94, I had that problem once. The switch is in the jam mounted to the door. The center section of the switch can be pulled out and pushed back in for adjustment. I just had to pull the center section out a bit, and it worked great. Over time it had gotten pushed back in too far.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 AM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 478 Likes on 133 Posts

I did a one-cent repair to fix this problem. I taped a penny to the inside of the door jamb where the sensor button hits. No more problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep..little push button switch in the front of the door pillar, I've read where some guys have shimmed them, I replaced both mine..10 minute job, but if you decide to replace them take your old one(s) with you, the first 2 I got the pin connectios were to damn small. That's for the lights, the door ajar switchs on my 87 are located on the door itself on the latch end.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with door ajar switch & lights staying on

Quick Reply: need help with door ajar switch & lights staying on