C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1/LT4 Water Pump Drive Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
nogoodsam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1/LT4 Water Pump Drive Gear

Okay, the topic is related to electric water pumps install.

The part I'm concerned about is what to do with the left-over water pump drive shaft. Some people remove it entirely and seal up the hole. I'd rather not do that. However, I agree that I don't want it spinning unloaded. So here's my question.

How is the drive shaft secured on that back side??
or
Any way of loading the water pump side so that it remains "balanced" as its spinning?? (small loading)

I've found many pictures or drawings but have been unable to determine how the back-side of the shaft it secured.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nogoodsam
Okay, the topic is related to electric water pumps install.

The part I'm concerned about is what to do with the left-over water pump drive shaft. Some people remove it entirely and seal up the hole. I'd rather not do that. However, I agree that I don't want it spinning unloaded. So here's my question.

How is the drive shaft secured on that back side??
or
Any way of loading the water pump side so that it remains "balanced" as its spinning?? (small loading)

I've found many pictures or drawings but have been unable to determine how the back-side of the shaft it secured.

If I remember correctly, the back end of the water pump drive shaft is supported on a ball-bearing pressed into the block. The front end is supported by the water pump bearing. So, it should be supported on both ends normally.
I would not want it just supported on one end when the water pump is not there -- the seal in the timing cover is not a support for the shaft.

So, my opinion is to take it out.

Tom Piper
Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
nogoodsam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom!!
I agree I do NOT want to just support one end (and the seal doesn't count).

Anyone seen any solutions for supporting the water-pump end with a bearing or something?

Get notified of new replies

To LT1/LT4 Water Pump Drive Gear

Quick Reply: LT1/LT4 Water Pump Drive Gear