C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cheap digital dash fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cheap digital dash fix?

I had a guy today tell me that he bought some polarized window tint and installed it over his sunburnt digital dash and it looks like new again. I have seen posts before where people were able to see the sunburnt dash by looking at it with polarized sunglasses, but not anything before about installng polarized tint over the dash.
Does anybody have any verification that this actually works?
Thanks
Roy
Old 01-10-2007, 06:49 PM
5pinball
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Old 01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
biteme86
Instructor

I dont think there is a cheap fix even if you do the labor yourself which I highly doubt you can. Best to send it off and have all new guts put in it. I think its like 300 but it might be up to 400 or 500. Dont qoute me on that though.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastmax32168
I had a guy today tell me that he bought some polarized window tint and installed it over his sunburnt digital dash and it looks like new again. I have seen posts before where people were able to see the sunburnt dash by looking at it with polarized sunglasses, but not anything before about installng polarized tint over the dash.
Does anybody have any verification that this actually works?
Thanks
Roy
Stop by a tinting shop and get a scrap piece.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
viii
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not that it's that cheap, but I bumped into a post on ebay yesterday for a repair service out of bristol pa. thought it was 150 to restore sun faded cluster. I sent my cluster for repair to a corvette parts dealer somewhere in bristol pa many years ago - still working fine. check it out, there are before and after picts on ebay and looks good to me.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
JOHN89
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my LCD crystals for my speedometer and gas gauge. They were "sun bleached" just as you describe. The tint will not work.
What has happened is internal damage to the LCD crystal. The way it works is it allows the light to shine though by moving the liquid electronically to allow the back light to shine through. The sun bleach effect is basically because there is no more liquid in that spot.
The only fix is to replace the crystals. Just be very careful when installing the new ones that they are "in place" and the spring clip is not under it. It will crack your new LCD panel.
Jim Adams sells the crystals on ebay for $90.00 each. I just bough 2 from him. He is a stand up guy.
He can be reached at witchcityeng@yahoo.com.

Good luck!
John
Old 01-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by viii
not that it's that cheap, but I bumped into a post on ebay yesterday for a repair service out of bristol pa. thought it was 150 to restore sun faded cluster. I sent my cluster for repair to a corvette parts dealer somewhere in bristol pa many years ago - still working fine. check it out, there are before and after picts on ebay and looks good to me.
Thats his price to look at it. By the time you are done with this particular repair shop you will end up with a 500 plus bill to repair a dash with 3 burnt displays.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JOHN89
I just replaced my LCD crystals for my speedometer and gas gauge. They were "sun bleached" just as you describe. The tint will not work.
What has happened is internal damage to the LCD crystal. The way it works is it allows the light to shine though by moving the liquid electronically to allow the back light to shine through. The sun bleach effect is basically because there is no more liquid in that spot.
The only fix is to replace the crystals. Just be very careful when installing the new ones that they are "in place" and the spring clip is not under it. It will crack your new LCD panel.
Jim Adams sells the crystals on ebay for $90.00 each. I just bough 2 from him. He is a stand up guy.
He can be reached at witchcityeng@yahoo.com.

Good luck!
John
Guys, I am real familiar with the normal ways to deal with this problem. I just replaced my dash with a used one in order to take care of it.
John, your response is certainly the way it has always been done. But if you do a search using the word polarized, you will find numerous posts where guys were able to see the display on their sunburnt digital dash by looking at it with a pair of polarized sunglasses.
I could see this guys dash just fine when he fired up his car. He claims you couldnt see it at all before the tint.
I had never heard of polarized window tint before, and I am just curious if anyone else here has ever heard or tried this fix.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 AM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced one of my LCD's for $89 from a guy on ebay. Here's a couple of links for the parts. You do have to be kind of tech savy though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-89...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-11-2007, 09:00 AM
89er
Racer

Default Maybe a cheap protector ?

I wonder if this material would be good to use to protect a working display from damage.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 87FIREREDRAGTOP
I just replaced one of my LCD's for $89 from a guy on ebay. Here's a couple of links for the parts. You do have to be kind of tech savy though.

Those are for '84-'89. I believe Fast has a '94...redesigned dash.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM
mike_webb_tx
Advanced

The sunburnt or washed-out problem won't be solved with window tint. The console uses coated ("chromatic") glass for the LCDs and it's this coating/LCD that's worn out. The only solution is replacement. Best location is witchcityeng at the ebay site as he offers all C4 LCDs.

A telltale sign is whether or not you can see displays from the dash when the car is not running. You should only see "pure black."

There's a Forum member who has an excellent write-up on his website for details on the Dash Repair here -> http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/repair.htm

This picture (without the damage) shows the coating when viewed from the front -> http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/clusterpics/lcd1.jpg

This picture (without the damage) shows the coatings from the rear. I'm guessing that over time UV rays "burn through" the dash and affect these coatings -> http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/clusterpics/lcd4.jpg

HTH, Mike
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
LAAllison
Advanced

Default Polarized tint

My 89 dash is sunburnt and is plainly visible with polarized glasses on. Been to several tint shops but found no polarized tint. Did a web search and had people emailing me trying to get me to invest in developing a polarized tint. Guess the only answer is spend the money.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM
necauto
Cruising

Default Dash cluster LCD's

I sell new LCD's on ebay witchcityeng...I've experimented will polarizers and the effect does not meet my standards. Most LCD's have uneven fading patterns so if you use the polarizer you'll have dark spots. To get that "as new appearance" on your dash, new LCD's are best.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
necauto
Cruising

Default Dash cluster LCD's

I sell new LCD's on ebay witchcityeng...I've experimented will polarizers and the effect does not meet my standards. Most LCD's have uneven fading patterns so if you use the polarizer you'll have dark spots. To get that "as new appearance" on your dash, new LCD's are best.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 PM
tx-fisherdude
Advanced

http://www.polarization.com/shop/catalog/

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap digital dash fix?

Quick Reply: Cheap digital dash fix?