C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heater/AC Only Blows Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 01:30 PM
barrypaul
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/AC Only Blows Hot Air

Another uncomfortable problem, ...my vents sometimes blows only very very hot air even when the A/C is on and the temperture is set to low (cold). This happens about every four days on my 1989 'vette. It's stays that way nomatter what controls I adjust. The blower does adjust properly though.

My guess is that it is simply the flap that control the heat flow from the heater core. But I am not sure if it could be the controls or something else. Has anybody had a similar experience or suggestion. Where exactly is the flap?

Thanks,

barrypaul
Old 10-02-2001, 02:22 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Heater/AC Only Blows Hot Air (barrypaul)

Assuming the a/c is properly charged, the temperature control door is in the evaporator housing and is linked to a motor located inside the passenger compartment on the heater core housing. The linkage is connected with a plastic piece and it could be loose or broken (more than likely) or the motor could be shot or it isn't getting juice from the a/c programmer (not as likely) To see if the door is functioning, access the evaporator housing by removing the blower control module. The door is to the left as you look towards the rear of the car. Note it's position at full cold. Now select full heat at the dash assembly. The door should have moved. If not, then the problem is in the aforementioned items. To access the motor, you will need to drop the hush panel on the passenger side. The linkage is on top and you should repeat the full cold/full hot test to determine if the motor is working.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:36 PM
marios89
4th Gear

Originally Posted by barrypaul
Another uncomfortable problem, ...my vents sometimes blows only very very hot air even when the A/C is on and the temperture is set to low (cold). This happens about every four days on my 1989 'vette. It's stays that way nomatter what controls I adjust. The blower does adjust properly though.

My guess is that it is simply the flap that control the heat flow from the heater core. But I am not sure if it could be the controls or something else. Has anybody had a similar experience or suggestion. Where exactly is the flap?

Thanks,

barrypaul
I am having the identical problem for the past week.But a few times the A/C worked !! The flap is somewhere you are going to hate. It's in the plenum of the heat/AC box under the passenger side dash. Not easy to get to. My first thought is the AC clutch is not engaging' but I haven't checked that yet.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:51 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

What year car? makes a big difference.
First see if the fat pipe is cold, thats the easiest.

Also, I commend you for your research but you are on a 18 year old thread. Although the information might relate I suggest starting your own new thread with as much information of whats happening as possible.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 PM
marios89
4th Gear

1989 is my year. I'll post what I find

Get notified of new replies

To Heater/AC Only Blows Hot Air

Quick Reply: Heater/AC Only Blows Hot Air