C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 dana 36 to dana 44 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
rtracy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 95 dana 36 to dana 44 conversion?

Hey guy's! I just picked up a 87 dana 44 to replace my dana 36 I have now and looking things over I noticed that the bolts that hold the spindle support rod to the case are smaller in the dana 44 than the dana 36 that I am replaceing. So what do I do? Should I drill out the case and case cover holes biger on the dana 44 that I am putting in so my bolts will fit it? Is there anyone that has ran into this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Old 02-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by rtracy
Hey guy's! I just picked up a 87 dana 44 to replace my dana 36 I have now and looking things over I noticed that the bolts that hold the spindle support rod to the case are smaller in the dana 44 than the dana 36 that I am replaceing. So what do I do? Should I drill out the case and case cover holes biger on the dana 44 that I am putting in so my bolts will fit it? Is there anyone that has ran into this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Yes, I used an '85 D44 and had to enlarge the holes for the camber arm brackets. No big deal and everything else is a bolt-in. Make sure and drill them straight though. It's very easy to get off track in aluminum, even when going through existing holes.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM
rtracy
Racer

Thanks Chris. I'll do just that.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM
rtracy
Racer

Hey Chris! did you have to shorten your drive shaft and drill new holes in your c beam? Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Chris! did you have to shorten your drive shaft and drill new holes in your c beam? Thanks
Not if you get the ones to go with the 44 as I did. The correct driveshaft is about an inch shorter but some have said they used the A4 shaft as is. I would shorten it if it was me. However, since the differential in a Vette is stationary, there's for all practical purposes no movement of the transmission yoke fore or aft once it's installed. The beam will need redrilled at the front. I'd recommend adding beam plates if this is done though, to compensate for any weakening from the extra holes. They can be easily fabricated.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:39 AM
JA94vette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. When you drilled the holes, did you do it with a hand drill and kept it steady as she goes or did ou use a mill. Would it be possilbe to mount the diff into a mill to drill these holes.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 PM
rtracy
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid
Not if you get the ones to go with the 44 as I did. The correct driveshaft is about an inch shorter but some have said they used the A4 shaft as is. I would shorten it if it was me. However, since the differential in a Vette is stationary, there's for all practical purposes no movement of the transmission yoke fore or aft once it's installed. The beam will need redrilled at the front. I'd recommend adding beam plates if this is done though, to compensate for any weakening from the extra holes. They can be easily fabricated.
O.K., thanks. I'll have to get it all up in there and deside what to do. I'll see if I can find a manual shaft.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
rtracy
Racer

Hello Chris! I got my drive shaft shortend one inch. I drilled holes in my c-beam one inch back from where they were. Got everything bolted up and the spindle rod brakckets won't bolt up unless I pry it to the rear. It looks like it is about 1/2" off from bolting up. I looked at the lugs where it bolt up on the dana 36 and the offset is different between the two differentials. Did you happen to have this broblem with yours and if you did how did you fix it? I called a couple of conversion dealers and they said it should bolt up but looking at the off set I would say that there is a problem with the two different offsets.
Thanks, Ray
Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello Chris! I got my drive shaft shortend one inch. I drilled holes in my c-beam one inch back from where they were. Got everything bolted up and the spindle rod brakckets won't bolt up unless I pry it to the rear. It looks like it is about 1/2" off from bolting up. I looked at the lugs where it bolt up on the dana 36 and the offset is different between the two differentials. Did you happen to have this broblem with yours and if you did how did you fix it? I called a couple of conversion dealers and they said it should bolt up but looking at the off set I would say that there is a problem with the two different offsets.
Thanks, Ray
I'm not sure what you mean by spindle rod brackets. Aside from the C-beam and driveshaft, did you change anything besides the differential and batwing assembly?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 PM
rtracy
Racer

I'm not sure what you mean by spindle rod brackets. Aside from the C-beam and driveshaft, did you change anything besides the differential and batwing assembly?
No I did not. The brackets we talked about were I had to drill them out biger for the larger bolt that were in the 36. Those brackets. When I push the bottom spindle rod up to bolt them in place they are about a 1/2" forward. If I pullthem back I can force them up on but then it is going to tilt my wheels inward.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

No I did not. The brackets we talked about were I had to drill them out biger for the larger bolt that were in the 36. Those brackets. When I push the bottom spindle rod up to bolt them in place they are about a 1/2" forward. If I pullthem back I can force them up on but then it is going to tilt my wheels inward.
Okay, the camber brackets then. It's not unusual to have to move something like this a little to reconnect it. No worries, they're located precisely the same on both rears.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 PM
rtracy
Racer

Okay, the camber brackets then. It's not unusual to have to move something like this a little to reconnect it. No worries, they're located precisely the same on both rears.
Ya, So if I just push it back and tap it up on it should be ok?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:48 PM
spinktec
Advanced

Vette is stationary, there's for all practical purposes no movement of the transmission yoke fore or aft once it's installed.
FYI, The slide yoke does allow for movement from bushing flex and probably some other flex in the components. On my '94 ZF-6 w/ Dana 44. I just measured a full 3/4 inch between the closest and furthest seal marks on the slide yoke of the driveshaft.

I'd recommend adding beam plates if this is done though, to compensate for any weakening from the extra holes.
I bought mine from ZR-51 performance ($165); they fabricate them on site and I can tell you the quality is obvious.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spinktec
FYI, The slide yoke does allow for movement from bushing flex and probably some other flex in the components. On my '94 ZF-6 w/ Dana 44. I just measured a full 3/4 inch between the closest and furthest seal marks on the slide yoke of the driveshaft.
I'm not suprised that this could be the case with rubber bushings. This is why I never liked hearing of people using the A4 length shaft in these conversions. For no more than it costs to shorten one, I've always recommemnded that if the correct shaft is not available. I'll retain this info and pass it on when needed.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
rtracy
Racer

Originally Posted by spinktec

I bought mine from ZR-51 performance ($165); they fabricate them on site and I can tell you the quality is obvious.
I couldn't see spending that much money on something that cost $20 to make so I made my own out of 3/8" stainless milled down the center to hold the nuts.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:02 PM
rtracy
Racer

I'm not suprised that this could be the case with rubber bushings. This is why I never liked hearing of people using the A4 length shaft in these conversions. For no more than it costs to shorten one, I've always recommemnded that if the correct shaft is not available. I'll retain this info and pass it on when needed.
It's not the drive shaft Chris. I even have room to take the drive shaft out without lowering the trany. The drive shaft will slide in and out 1". If anything it would be the beam plate holding it back alittle but the hole are 1" on center.
Chris, if you want to give me your e-mail I will e-mail you pics of the two different thickness differential lugs where the camber brackets bolt up. Bye the way, thanks for all the help.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:31 PM
rtracy
Racer

Originally Posted by JA94vette
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. When you drilled the holes, did you do it with a hand drill and kept it steady as she goes or did ou use a mill. Would it be possilbe to mount the diff into a mill to drill these holes.
I just drilled mine by hand. Very simple.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 dana 36 to dana 44 conversion?

Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 PM
rtracy
Racer

Originally Posted by JA94vette
I just drilled it by hand. Very simple.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 PM
rtracy
Racer

Thanks Chris for all the help. Job is done and everything seems to run smoothly after installing the 3.73's.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

are you interested in selling your dana 36? i'm looking for one for my 95 with 3.07 gears.

Quick Reply: 95 dana 36 to dana 44 conversion?