C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looks Like a Turbo Kit for C4's is Finally on the Way!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:27 PM
dhickey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mn_vette
I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying doing it is a major pain. You would basically have to get it to the engine compartment, bring it to the top of the engine to go over the suspension, steering rack, and crossmember, then go back down to get into the radiator shroud. Obviously this is all theoretical unless you have the kit sitting right infront of you to measure space.

But just because they found a way to do it on the C5 doesn't mean it can be done on a C4.
Could do something like this:

www.thor-racing.co.uk/Charge_Coolers-291.asp

Then you just have to find a small radiator and run water lines to the front.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
Hey Rick, sounds good, what kind of stuff are you working on nowadays? How's the dyno business?
From Lq-9 powered GN's to wicked little honda's to Mean,Mean TTls-1's that kill spec stage 5's at 5.6psi and belt down 825 ft/lbs. . If you ever get bored stop by my site, I got an IT guy who keeps it up to date with what Ive been up to.
Dyno was slow this winter obviosly, but it's crazy now. I have like 10 serious builds going on + the CNC to setup. I needed the CNC to build the molds for my carbon fiber parts and we'll be building all my billet parts in house from now on as well as anodizing and powdercoating. I had to quit school for this semster because quite frankly I cant fit anything more on my plate and you really need to pay attention in E.E. classes or your lost in a week. This is me at my shop all day and night=
Whatchu been up to man?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

all things considered id say screw the intercooler and just run a good multi stage Water/meth injection system. For the weight and hassle involved (believe me) same power can be had at the expense of popping the hood every tank or two and dumping in a few bottles of the blue sause.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
dhickey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dhickey
Could do something like this:

www.thor-racing.co.uk/Charge_Coolers-291.asp

Then you just have to find a small radiator and run water lines to the front.
Or run this instead of a radiator at the front.

http://www.coolflow.com/intracooler/intercooler.htm

Put this in the trunk somewhere and Thor-racing unit in the back.

I would think it may be better to put all of this at the front so the air cools along the way and then even more at the intercooler. Maybe mount the pump and chiller where the battery is.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:39 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rhanselman
Some pics of the C4 LT1 Rear Mount being developed.

Nice work.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Scott-89
Burning Brakes

I would really love something like that for my L98.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:33 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce
looking very good. Very similar to mine. Except, my is a monster hair dryer in there.

Very nice. Is yours this big?

I would love to have that thing on my vette
Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce

Are those roll hoops behind the seats? Where did you get em? Nice turbo.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

I bent them and welded them on. C4 Vert's are a bitch to do and keep the top workin with the rollbar. The two hoops were the comprimise on being able to use the S&W 8pt kit for the coupe and make it high enough to help prevent tall people from being decapitated in a rollover.

Bruce's turbo is a TV-85. It's T-6 based with a split tangential housing half blocked off.
If your Gt42 is a 4202 then you have a 75.xx mm inlet 102mm Od.compressor wheel w/ 82mm turbine wheel.
The Tv-85 has a 85mm inlet and a 130mm OD compressor with a 94(?)mm turbine wheel.

Last edited by Baldturbofreak; 04-08-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

Is this car seriously stock?

Hope to have details in about two weeks. Here is some info on the LT1 F Body, we hope the info will be about the same. http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/pdfs...1_02_Final.pdf
I don't know what my C4 dynos, but I don't think it makes 300 rwtq at 2k rpm.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 AM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Is this car seriously stock?

I don't know what my C4 dynos, but I don't think it makes 300 rwtq at 2k rpm.
The car is stock... I talked with the fab guy tonight, the LT1 car is only hours from completion.

Cheers,
RH
Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
jodyeastman
Racer

Hey

I'm new at this turbo thing here (as it appears most corvette owners are) but I kind of would expect more than 394RWHP from a turbo.

I looked at superchargers and I am wondering what the differences are in them. I don't mean what's the differnce between a turbo and a supercharger but rather what's the difference in this package in terms of HP and realibility?

I see some people on here making 450-500+ RWHP with turbos granted for much more cost I'm sure but for me, if I were to invest 4000 dollars, I could get some awsome heads and be there.

I just put this out there because I feel like I'm missing something. It seems like much effort and cost for 394RWHP.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jodyeastman
Hey

I'm new at this turbo thing here (as it appears most corvette owners are) but I kind of would expect more than 394RWHP from a turbo.

I looked at superchargers and I am wondering what the differences are in them. I don't mean what's the differnce between a turbo and a supercharger but rather what's the difference in this package in terms of HP and realibility?

I see some people on here making 450-500+ RWHP with turbos granted for much more cost I'm sure but for me, if I were to invest 4000 dollars, I could get some awsome heads and be there.

I just put this out there because I feel like I'm missing something. It seems like much effort and cost for 394RWHP.

For 4K you can get a pretty nice heads and cam package that will give you 400chp, a supercharger kit for 420chp, or a turbo kit that gives 400RWHP.

Its more a matter of choice and what you are looking for out of your car. For our engines 500rwhp is VERY tough to do even with a big stroker motor. You need the FI to do it.

If you are talking about the LSX engine, that's an entirely different beast. It responds very well to boost.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey

They are probably being conservative on the boost to avoid breakage. Another advantage is that it's upgradable. Not bad though for a bolt on kit. I'm doing just heads and cam on the stock short block with a goal of about 400-420rwhp NA and I'm at $5,000+ already on my parts list. The turbo will probably also have more torque.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Hey

as mentioned before, the dilivery of the power will be totaly diffrent to a SC or and NA setup. you will have more power under the curve with a turbo than a Centrifugal setup simply cos of the way they work.

although out the box the kit doesn't seem to make much power, there will be lot of room left in the kit! taking the LS stuff, they normaly make 450 ishrwhp out the box, but the stock kit can go to about 550rwhp! also as said before, its easier to upgrade the turbo unit if you, and your motor, can take it.

thanks Chris.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:46 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Update?

The car is stock... I talked with the fab guy tonight, the LT1 car is only hours from completion.

Cheers,
RH
Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Originally Posted by doug_Dawson
Update?
The LT1 car will be driven this week from AZ to OK where it will get it's final tune. The car will then be driven to and put on display at Bowling Green, KY for the ZR1/C4 Gathering which is the first week of May.

I'll post the dyno numbers after the final tune.

Cheers,
Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Looks Like a Turbo Kit for C4's is Finally on the Way!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

The LT1 car will be driven this week from AZ to OK where it will get it's final tune. The car will then be driven to and put on display at Bowling Green, KY for the ZR1/C4 Gathering which is the first week of May.

I'll post the dyno numbers after the final tune.

Cheers,
Ron
Oh - I thought the ZR-1 version was coming to BG. Is Jerry coming to BG?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Oh - I thought the ZR-1 version was coming to BG. Is Jerry coming to BG?
Jerry is going to BG.

Right now here's the plan.

LT1 Car to OK sometime in the next few days (Jerry is driving it)
LT1 Tune
LT5 car to OK within the next week (Jerry is also driving that one)
LT5 Tune maybe...

Both cars driven from OK to Nashville Mon/Tue, ZR1 tuned or not. (Jerry and a friend)
Jerry picks me up Wed in Nashville 1530 hrs then we drive both cars to BG.

Option 2: I take delivery of my (possible) new Ruby Z in Nashville and all 3 of us drive north
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Jerry is going to BG.

Right now here's the plan.

LT1 Car to OK sometime in the next few days (Jerry is driving it)
LT1 Tune
LT5 car to OK within the next week (Jerry is also driving that one)
LT5 Tune maybe...

Both cars driven from OK to Nashville Mon/Tue, ZR1 tuned or not. (Jerry and a friend)
Jerry picks me up Wed in Nashville 1530 hrs then we drive both cars to BG.

Option 2: I take delivery of my (possible) new Ruby Z in Nashville and all 3 of us drive north

I'll take option 2!

Quick Reply: Looks Like a Turbo Kit for C4's is Finally on the Way!