C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking for advice on changing plugs

Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
My Jersey Girl
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for advice on changing plugs

I have a 93 coupe that I am changing the plugs for the first time. I have taken off the inner fender and changed the #2 and 4 plugs. What I am asking is does anyone have any advice on the removal of the # 6 and 8 plugs?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

I used a indexable head 3/8 drive ratchet. Beat up my hands a little getting those plugs but not all that bad.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number 8 is really easy if you put it on stands and go up
Old 02-23-2007, 10:01 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,384 Likes on 917 Posts

Here's a re-run of a set of tech tips I posted here some time ago:

-------------

Changing the plug wires on an LT1/LT4 Corvette is not a lot of fun, but it can be done. Here are a few tips:

1. Raise the front end of the vehicle to a more comfortable working height.

2. Remove the inner fenderwell center panel on the driver's side. This will allow you to both see and do the job much more easily on the driver's side. You may also find it helpful to remove the wheel.

3. Unbolt the ASR bracketry from the frame, so that you can slide the ASR unit around to get it out of your way.

4. Unbolt the power steering pump so that you can move it forward around a half inch. This will make it much easier to sneak the plug wires in/out behind the pump.

5. Remove the serpentine belt and tensioner.

6. Use dielectric grease in the boots at both ends of the wires. Be sure to "burp" the air out of the boots after you get each of them pushed firmly into place, so that the trapped air doesn't try to push the wires off later.

Some guys report that they've had decent success accessing the Opti-end of the plug wires from underneath of the car, and that this saved them the trouble of removing the belt and tensioner. I haven't tried this, so I can't comment.

Take your time, work with care, and pay attention to what you're doing. The OEM replacement plug wires from your Chevy dealer are high quality parts, and will route (and fit into the wire looms) correctly. Run the new wires properly, and make sure they stay away from anything that moves, is sharp, or gets hot.

The passenger's side is not such a bad job. The driver's side is a Queen Royal Beyotch (mostly because all of the belt-driven accessories are hanging on the driver’s side of the front of LT1/LT4 engines, and they leave little room for you to work or see what you’re doing). With plenty of patience, beer and Band-Aids, you'll get it done.

The spark plugs on the driver's side aren't so bad, when you've got things apart to do the wires. The passenger's side, however, is not so easy. The number 8 plug in particular can be a real headache, but with good tools and enough patience, you can get it done. Because there isn’t room for a ratchet on top of the spark plug socket, I use a plug socket that has a hex head on it so that it can be turned with an open end or box end wrench. It's useful to have more than one plug socket to choose from, as some will work better than others due to differences in length, wall thickness, etc.

Be sure to apply a small amount of anti-sieze compound to the threads of the new plugs before you install them so that they won’t seize in the cylinder heads in the future (this is especially important with aluminum heads). Just make sure none of the compound gets onto the electrodes or insulators of the plugs. I apply a very thin stripe of compound across the threads in one spot, and it spreads itself around the threads as I screw the plug into the hole. Also be careful that you don’t pick up any of the grunge that may have accumulated over the years around the spark plug hole in the cylinder head on the new plugs’ electrodes/insulators/threads while you’re installing them – try your best to get the tip of the plug straight into the hole on the first shot.

For OEM parts at great prices, contact Chris May at Superior Chevrolet (1-800-728-8267), and tell him you're a Corvette Forum member.

Be well,

SJW
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Gar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy an extra 5/8" spark plug socket. The kind with a hex head. Cut off about 1-1/4". Don't cut off to much or there won't be any hex left inside to grip plug. Slip it over the plug and use a 3/4" box wrench to loosen the plug. Works easy as pie!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:45 AM
djxib
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Deal with the #6 and #8 plugs from the drivers side of the car. You can reach over the engine and your hands are in a much better orientation (helps when trying to get the wires on and off).
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
My Jersey Girl
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I have changed the plug and the plug wires but is there a special way to change the coil wire?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on changing plugs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for advice on changing plugs