C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What to use to monitor AFR on '90 model?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 AM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What to use to monitor AFR on '90 model?

'90 auto, 383 sr, 219 cam, heated O2, PCMforless tune

Need to know what is the best way, both accuracy and $$, to look at what the engine in my car is doing, in particular the Air to Fuel ratio.

If you are curious as to what I am trying to accomplish, this thread in C4 tech should help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1559230922
Old 03-05-2007, 12:43 AM
tdr1919
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hz900
'90 auto, 383 sr, 219 cam, heated O2, PCMforless tune

Need to know what is the best way, both accuracy and $$, to look at what the engine in my car is doing, in particular the Air to Fuel ratio.

If you are curious as to what I am trying to accomplish, this thread in C4 tech should help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1559230922
I followed you over! Datamaster (TTS) is a great program, you get 20 recording sessions before you have to pay. It has a great write up and you can monitor grahically things like O2, EGR BLM's etc.
also WinAldl is totally free and works well
Tom
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdr1919
I followed you over! Datamaster (TTS) is a great program, you get 20 recording sessions before you have to pay. It has a great write up and you can monitor grahically things like O2, EGR BLM's etc.
also WinAldl is totally free and works well
Tom

Ok great, now how do I hook a laptop up to the car? I know it plugs into the ALDL, but where to buy the cable, or how to make one is what I need to know.

Or I've got a couple serial cable laying around, can someone tell me what pins hook to what ALDL connections?

Last edited by hz900; 03-05-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to hit the sticky thread at the top of this topic... it will point you to places to buy cables/software etc.

You can't just hook a serial cable to the ALDL...

As for A/F you will prob. need to save some $ & buy a nice wide band. I bought a PLX from Greg @ Blowerworks but I just saw one listed on the Muzzys site that also did logging for about the same price. Something that would have been nice to have.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 AM
tdr1919
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good place to start -

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/pages.asp?pageid=20
Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got everything together to scan my 86, I used Craig Moates.

You will need a decent laptop with preferably windows XP, ALDU1+CABL1 Combo, and TunerPro RT (free, but you can pay $30 reg fee)

You will receive a driver on CD. Connect the cable to the USB port, install the driver, move TunerPro RT to the desktop and start running, make the bin changes, and start viewing.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hz900
'Need to know what is the best way, both accuracy and $$, to look at what the engine in my car is doing, in particular the Air to Fuel ratio.
One method of acurately reading this would be to use an LM-1 Air Fuel Ratio analyzer (which will aslo require welding a bung on the collecter, (seperately from the 02 sensor bung). However, for tuning aside from open loop (P.E. mode) I would recommend starting with Tuner Pro, or TTS datamaster (since Alvin is your tuner which ever he is comfortable to work with) software. C. Moates cables will work well for your set-up, with either software.
I found initially 20 runs will go by fast when you are still in the learning curve of using the software/set-up. You may want to consider owning/buying the software (unlimited use)and be done with it, knowing you can monitor the car in the future at any time. A wothwhile expense IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To What to use to monitor AFR on '90 model?

Quick Reply: What to use to monitor AFR on '90 model?