C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition switch stuck in "on" position

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ignition switch stuck in "on" position

Any advice about the big process of removing the lock from my '89 steering column??
Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
thumper823
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm.... never did that to a corvette. take the column cover off and wing it!!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Thanks....not very comforting though.
The switch is stuck in the ON position and as far as the Shop manual goes, at some point they want me to put the key in the OFF position!
Not possible as it is now.
Just wondering if the SM makes it sound more difficult than it is. I know if there is a mechanic out there who has done this often, he might give me some sound advice, shortcuts, etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
thumper823
Instructor

yeah, good luck with that one, i am assuming the trans. is in park? Maybe move the shifter around at the same time you wiggle the key around, if you already tryed that then i guess this is just a bump
Old 03-12-2007, 09:03 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Originally Posted by thumper823
yeah, good luck with that one, i am assuming the trans. is in park? Maybe move the shifter around at the same time you wiggle the key around, if you already tryed that then i guess this is just a bump
Did all that, thanks for the bump though.
I'm pretty much set on the idea the lock cylinder is shot...just want any experience at replacing it. How do you replace the long wire, can I just splice and shrinkwrap it?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 PM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Usually there's a rod that runs down the column to a plastic switch, jiggle the rod while rocking the wheel, also need a third hand to work the key.

good luck,
Dave
Old 03-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Simmons-Racing
Instructor

Originally Posted by hookedup
Usually there's a rod that runs down the column to a plastic switch, jiggle the rod while rocking the wheel, also need a third hand to work the key.

good luck,
Dave
This just happened to my 90. The "plastic switch" whent bad on my car, I dropped the column down and disconected the switch and the key worked fine . I replaced the switch and everything is good again.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Desert1957
Racer

Default switch problem

Originally Posted by joseph p
Thanks....not very comforting though.
The switch is stuck in the ON position and as far as the Shop manual goes, at some point they want me to put the key in the OFF position!
Not possible as it is now.
Just wondering if the SM makes it sound more difficult than it is. I know if there is a mechanic out there who has done this often, he might give me some sound advice, shortcuts, etc.
GM has used many different ways of retaining the Ignition Lock Cylinders over the years, but most years had a retaining pin that was under the steering wheel , some also had a tab on the end of the cylinder that had to be depressed.
the old switches had a grove cut in the top of the cylinder to prevent it from being removed with a puller.
Both designs needed to remove the steering wheel for accessto the cylinder.

Not sure what year they changed. I will search my shop manuals and get back to you.
here is an 82-85 style

Desert
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Originally Posted by Simmons-Racing
This just happened to my 90. The "plastic switch" whent bad on my car, I dropped the column down and disconected the switch and the key worked fine . I replaced the switch and everything is good again.
So...I just need to unbolt the column from the dash mount? Actually the switch was always loose and shakey, so I just assumed it must be the switch. Maybe I'll drop the column and see if I can disconnect the shaft and eliminate the possibility that it's the switch.
But, Desert1957, please follow up on that info just in case I find I have to take the switch.
Thanks

Last edited by joseph p; 03-13-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedup

good luck,
Dave

If its a standard, make sure its in reverse.

What happened to mine, was, Some one tried to removed the key while it wasnt in reverse (shop). Or move the shifter with out the key turned on.

If you can find that rod under the dash it will hopefully trigger it loose.

Ultimately if you follow that rod from the ignition it turn into a cable under the center console attaching to the shifter. Once i figured out how the rod would unlock it, it made sense. The cable came out under the center consol. All i had to do was fix the locking clip....

good luck
Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 PM
joseph p
Drifting

I took the lock out...it still won't switch out of ON position. So I assume the lock is the culprit. Now I'd like to be able to get the new lock quickly but I'd bet it's only a dealer item because of the key chip, and I'll have to order it and wait. ( just when the East is experiencing GREAT weather!)
Getting the plug up through the column looks like it might be a problem. Does anyone know if I can just splice the new one in? It has two yellow wires, are they interchangeable?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you took the cylenoid out and it still wont turn it prob is the prob.

Get famiar with the linkage i spoke of why in there.

Make sure the key is clean
Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 AM
joseph p
Drifting

Any ideas about the plug wire?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
tx-fisherdude
Advanced

My 84 had a problem like that the linkage (cable) to the shift button was stuck a little WD on the cable at the shifter and bingo works like a charm.but thats if you have a AUTOMATIC and the button seems to be some what depressed.as far sa the wires just unplug them and they should pull out enough to let you do what you need to do.if that dont work get a bfh
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
joseph p
Drifting

SUCCESS!! We had a great day, came home from work, stopped at Chevy dealer, picked up new switch and key....2 hours later, all is well.
Optimistically speaking, although it was an involved process, while I was that far in the column I tightened the screws that made the column move slightly when you pushed down on it.
Thanks for all your help.

By the way, I took welding wire and fished the switch wire out and back in, because the parts guy said it was a bad idea to mess with that wire in any way.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Desert1957
Racer

congrats
its a good feeling to do a repair which would have cost you $$$$$

Desert

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition switch stuck in "on" position

Quick Reply: Ignition switch stuck in "on" position